Yellow Lake, by Webster

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I am planning on fishing Yellow Lake this weekend for the first time. I will be targeting bass and am wondering if anyone has an information that they don’t mind sharing? (water temps, hots spots, etc…) Also, I heard that there are cribs in this lake is that true.

Thanks,
    Dan

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks,
    A

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Alphid I have fished it but never for Bass. I can’t remeber if there is cribs in that lake particular, but I do know a couple other lakes in the Danbury & Webb Lake area that used top have cribs, back about 15 years ago. Great Bass Lakes, back in the day! Good Luck!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I might be be doin’ some Bassin’ on Big McKenzie this weekend. I will let you know if we do and how we do.

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

I’ve fished Yellow quite a few times over the past couple of years…I don’t know about cribs on the big lake but i know there are some on little yellow. The bass fishin’ is decent I know that there was a tourny there last year in the summer…Hope i’m thinkin’ of the right Yellow lake….post some results when you get back I’m thinkin’ of headin up there later this month.
    -KingCabelas

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the help on the Lake.

Here is a recap on the weekend fishing on Yellow.
    Pre-fishing on Saturday was less than successful. We tried going up to little yellow and working the area in front of the river, in the river and pretty much all around little yellow. For our efforts we ended up with a couple of small bass, a couple of northern, and bonus walleye. We headed up into big yellow and tried working some weed lines with still not much to show for our efforts. After a couple of more hours we decided to try the small channels on the lower side of the lake. These channels were all pretty dark water with a good amount of baitfish cruising. With the water temp. being about 4 degrees higher we thought we might be on something. Working these areas over a while and getting a couple decent bass we decided this is would be the most consistent spot on the lake.

At takeoff on Sunday, One of the other boats headed to the first channel on the SE side of the lake and we ended up going to the other channel on the South side. Basically from the start of the day till the end we fished this small channel, (Approximately 400 yards long by 30 feet) and caught our fish and continued to cull. We used weightless sinkos in a variety of colors and the secret was to cast about a foot from the shoreline and basically deadstick the bait. The fish were moving all day and so we were able to go up and down this channel alternating the shoreline we fished. It was pretty simple fishing but being in the same confined area all day can sure make you want to try something else that gets you more in the open, but it was working.

The 1st place and 3rd place bag came from the boat that went in the first channel fishing the same way that we where. I finished 4th and my partner finished 2nd. These top weights where: 14.2, 13.9, 13.5, and 12.8. The rest of the boats that didn’t fish these channels struggled with catching anything.

In the coming weeks these areas should really pick up with the warming water temps.

Thanks for the help again!

Walleye Hungry

Heading up to the inlaws for the weekend. while they snowmobile i was going to try fishing for some walleyes out on big yellow. Having not fished this lake before i looked to the maps for steep breaks and what not…well the whole lake looks to be that way. Anyone have any tips for a decent bite? is it dark water? night bite better i assume?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hi Derek,
    I haven’t ice fished Yellow in a few years now. We’ve done better in the mornings and evenings for walleye. But we also caught them during the day. We typically just fished tipups. We normally tried staying in 12 – 20 feet of water. Yellow Lake is darker water. I will try to PM you the area we typically fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.