Nelson Lake Hayward, WI Area

• skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Spent the weekend up in Hayward and was able to get out on a local lake on Saturday. Was with my Step-brother in-law and his youngest son. Had my 8 yr old son and his friend. We were on a bay in the NE corner of the lake, and were told at the local bait shop they where hitting on purple jigs tipped with a piece of berkeley gulp earth worm color. We made our way out onto the lake which was basically glare ice thanks to the rain that had moved through recently, and got to our spot about 1/2 mile from where we parked. Popped about 10 holes, and decided to try putting some tip-ups out with a shiner. We were in about from 22 ft to about 12 feet of water. Got the tip-ups set up and started jigging. Went for about 2 hours with nothing, and my son and his friend wanted to go back to the hotel and swim. So I made the trip back to the hotel and by the time I got back, my buddies, son had 5 nice crappies on the ice, with most going around 10-11inches. Caught them on 3 different color jigs and tipped with waxies. Ended up the day with a nice bucket of 20 good sized crappies. Got chased off the ice when the wind picked up and the rumple minze started running low Great day to be out, and had a wonderful time spending the time on the ice with the kids and the good company!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.