Namekagon Fun

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a fun time Sat morning for a couple hours trying something different. I waded a nice run on the river near my cabin. I just fished in one spot. The fun was in taking two rods. Small one to catch minnows and big one to fish the minnow. When I needed a minnow I would wade to the bank, grab my ultralight and catch a minnow in the slack water which was not as easy as it sounds. Then I would wade back with my prize and hook it on the big rod. Then wade back out and cast into the good water. I caught 2 huge smallies, a monster cat and 2 nice pike not to mention many bites and lost fish. This was somewhat of a community hole and you could cast lures in until you were sore and probably not catch a fish. I couldn’t buy one there with crawlers, but toss a local minnow out and it was EASY. Definitely something I plan to try again.

FryDog62

Suzuki…after many years of fishing with my dad on trips in Wisconsin, Northern Minnesota and Canada…I started a tradition of canoeing down the Namakagan with – of all people – my mom! We made the trip 12 years in a row until they sold their cabin and moved back home. We floated from Hayward down to Stinnett, Grote, etc… what a blast. Saw so much wildlife over the years – Eagles, osprey, deer, etc.

I always brought my ultralight along and did a few casts a long the way. Amazing how I always caught a few in those deeper holes…mostly smallies. One year a guy floating on an inner tube said he caught three 35-38 inch muskies. Said one of them even pulled him upstream!

The last time my mom and I went I had just gotten back from a trip to Lac Seul with my dad where after 5 days my biggest walleye was about 3 pounds. On the canoe trip with her I caught one about 4 pounds. She said who needs to go to Canada! Never tried the native minnows but that might be a great thing to try. The lakes in that area get so much pressure I think the Namakagon is a great alternative…

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Very cool. Just curious on how you were rigging your minnows, and what kind of current you were fishing them in?

Joel

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I tried using a wide gap worm hook but it was too unnatural. They wouldn’t hit it. Ended up with a large mustad style hook through the lips. I didn’t like it but its all I had. Current was strong. I was fishing a neck down area. The hardest part was giving them enough slack line to eat it but setting the hook was almost as difficult since there was yards of line down stream. I only had one angle of approach which was not ideal. Directly across from the run. I’m surprised I hooked as many as I did. Missed just as many. It was an intense two hours. Actually a little less time than that. I sure want to do it again this weekend but Grouse hunting opener takes precedence Sat morning. Maybe Sunday.

bigpike

Cool, bet you’ll be geared up a little better next time. That’s some pretty area up there.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

. but setting the hook was almost as difficult since there was yards of line down stream.

circle hook??? I have started to use to them, cuase you are supposed to reel the line tight to set the hook… so I just start reeling all the slack line in as fast as I can and most of the time, I get a connection…

Mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.