Anyone!!

• horsch
    Hastings, MN

Hey no one else fishing the big lake this year?? I only one here that fishes it? Come on let me know how your doing out there!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have a brother in law that live in Grand Maris….I keep telling him to let me know when SOMETHING is biting and I’ll be up…

I’m thinking he doesn’t want me up there…

Actually I was wondering the same thing early this year…no reports of the smelt run…nothing on the spring migrations…pretty quiet up that way!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Paging Steve Vick….Paging Steve Vick….how about a report from the big pond Steve? Thanks

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I live up this way no, have fished it a few times. Things on Gichee have been REAL slow. Thats from everyone I have talked to up this way, not just me. I expected to have some slow fishing, I am used to fishing the mississippi at pool 8, MUCH different than fishing the big pond up here.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Hey thanks!! I might go up this weekend 15th & 16th if weather permits, let you know if i do

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Just wondering if you got out on the Big Lake? I have been running over to Algoma on Lake Mich but if I knew where to begin on Superior on the Wisconsin side I may give it a try. I found the ramp on one of my last visits up that way on the south end of Superior but the fishermen I spoke with were very tight lipped as to what they were fishing for and how far out they were going? I used to fish on the Duluth side up towards the Lester,Knife,Sucker rivers but that has been awhile ago. What does everone fish for that goes out of Suerior? Salmon? Trout? Walleye? I know they catch pouts but I would rather catch anything else first.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I hear fishing is picking up on the south shore and not far out of the Superior entry into the harbor. (Wis side). Both walleyes and salmonids. I haven;t been the recipient of it, but I hear others who ahve done well.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I’ll be going out of Corny Wi. next week. It’ll be my 1st time (weather permitting) on Superior fishing so wish me luck. I’m going to try Dipsy’s and a couple side planers, and if I can get those out maybe a leadcore straight out the back. I’ll have spoons and plugs on and if I get the hang of it a fly. I’m hoping with those points and bays I should find some sheltered water somewhere. If I get anything your sure to hear.

Later,

Ferny

HONEEYE
    Bayport Mn

Was out on lake 8/4 1for 3 so. shore out of Superior entry 27″ eye 30fow on a Barbie Reefrunner. Lost the other 2 eyes at back of boat.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Well I just got back from my maiden voyage on Lake Superior with my boy. The good news is we had wonderful weather the bad news is we got skunked for about 10 hours of trolling.

We tried 20′ to 120′ with spoons, plugs, and a fly. I marked several bait clumps and a few fish but never had a hit. The locals were doing pretty good for salmon and trout out over 100’+ while fishing 20′ down with spoons. I ventured out deeper the second day and my boy got seasick in the 3 footers so we headed in to go swimming instead. We had a great time in spite of our bad luck with the fish. Corny has an awesome beach, caves, marina, and bay for someone like me with a smaller boat.

Friday we went over to Two Harbors after talking to some old timers at Marine General who were doing good for salmon. When we got to the launch the weather was ominous with a storm reportedly moving down so we hit the beaches swimming and looking for cool rocks instead. Better safe than sorry with the little guy along.

I’ll be back now that I have a little more confidence in my boat and setup.

Ferny.

HONEEYE
    Bayport Mn

It’s all about the wind.

HONEEYE
    Bayport Mn

3 footers or more takes the fun out of it.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

By Corny, WI do you mean Cornucopia?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

That’s where he was at. My uncle used to guide for lake trout from Corny. His home and three cottages were right on the west side of the Siskowit River. Bark Bay just to the west is supposed to put out some quality northern pike as well.

Mark

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Yep Cornucopia Wisconsin…it’s a beautiful place.
    Mbenson we must have stayed in your uncles cabins. They are now called Conrucopia Cabins and they have the 3 cabins by the river, the “office” and another house for rent. Mary and Jerry from Fish Lipps bar own it now.

There is a commercial fishing operation in the marina also. I think it was called Halversons?? They were cleaning up a bunch of lakers when we went in to buy some skoked fish for lunch.

We tried casting the rocks on Roman pt. for smallies and northerns to no avail. It just wasn’t our time for catching fish.

Does the near shore fishing pick up in the fall around there?

Ferny

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Ferny:

Yep, my bro and I used to throw the tennis ball for King, my uncle’s lab. All the way to the river and in. Also caught some nice trout of the river up to the Kettle Hole just north of the mouth. Used to go over to Halverson’s (if that’s right) and watch them clean bloaters (smoked chubs).

You got to beleive that it does, but at this time I am not the one to answer that. Wished I could and wished I go tup there more often. Mostly get to the Bay, by not much further west and not in a boat yet. Hope to change that soon.

Mark

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.