Smelting

• Anonymous

Would like a heads up if/when the smelt run this spring.

Anonymous

I will keep an eye out and post. I no longer live up there but have a buddy who fishes the rivers every morning in the spring so he has pretty timely information.

Anonymous

Hooks:

Have been looking over the webpages to keep informed on the best the state has to offer. In my area of Minocqua we are awaiting the spring run of smelt on Fence Lake. They are not as big and if you are looking for some of your catch to supplement your bait for northerns for ice fishing next year, Ashland is the better place to go. For eating sized smelt Fence’s biggest are lucky to see 7″. Perfect eating size!!!

It seems that from a post on Lake-link.com that they are starting to get some smelt in the nets. Mostly males was the report, which means in the fish world the best is yet to come. Can’t tell you when might be the best for your trip to Lake Superior, but post back and I will try to keep you informed.

mbenson

Anonymous

Tim, looks like the smelt run may start this weekend. Water temps on the bay are still in the upper 30s. The walleyes have move into the hotpond so the smelt shouldnt be far behind. Just to let you and others know, consistently year after year the best smelting spot has been the private beach next to Anglers All tackle shop in Ashland. I believe you have to make reservations but is well worth it. Their number is 715-682-5754.

Chris Beeksma

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.