Jigging for Lakers…

• Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

Hi,
    Just wondering what weight lures guys generally use jigging for lake trout, say from 50-125 FOW?
    Thanks,
    Gregory

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have used pk spoons, tubes, forage minnows from northland. just use the heavier ones to get down there but they all work for me. Just started this year fishing for them so can’t really be an expert yet still try it out. Good luck!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was up there last weekend and was using 3/8-1/2 oz lures. It seemed they wanted slightly smaller lures than I would have guessed. I has the best luck using 3/8 oz cicadas.

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

1/4 to 3/8 tube jig, with a good 3/0 or 4/0 hook. 4″ white scented tubes(Berkley/Trigger X). A good mdhvy rod with reel spooled. with 10/4 fireline and about a 3ft 10# floro leader. Fish the entire water column no matter how deep the bottom is. Lift up 3 to 4 ft drop and pause. I have had them rocket up 40 ft and just smash the bait. If you see them coming up on the flasher star to reel up at the same spped they are rising and they kick on the after burners and crush them. They are by far and away my favorite fish in the wintertime. Post pics of your outing good luck.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Fish the entire water column no matter how deep the bottom is. Lift up 3 to 4 ft drop and pause. I have had them rocket up 40 ft and just smash the bait. If you see them coming up on the flasher star to reel up at the same spped they are rising and they kick on the after burners and crush them. They are by far and away my favorite fish in the wintertime. Post pics of your outing good luck.

That quote alone just got my adrenaline flowing.

That’s the best I’ve ever heard it explained. They’ll chase it all the way to the ice from 100′ or more. Never give up on them either. I hooked one 3 times before he finally swam away. I just couldn’t stick her with the hook.

tswoboda

Quote:

1/4 to 3/8 tube jig, with a good 3/0 or 4/0 hook. 4″ white scented tubes(Berkley/Trigger X). A good mdhvy rod with reel spooled. with 10/4 fireline and about a 3ft 10# floro leader. Fish the entire water column no matter how deep the bottom is. Lift up 3 to 4 ft drop and pause. I have had them rocket up 40 ft and just smash the bait. If you see them coming up on the flasher star to reel up at the same spped they are rising and they kick on the after burners and crush them. They are by far and away my favorite fish in the wintertime. Post pics of your outing good luck.

Nailed it.

Only thing I’ll add is don’t be surprised when they fly up 40 ft but don’t eat your bait. Unbelievable how aggressive they can be but then not eat. If they fly up but then turn around and go back down, freespool and let your bait fall. The fish will usually start coming up again… let your bait fall to a couple feet below them and then start reeling again.

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

Thanks guys!! I’m mostly trying to get geared up for next year?

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

If you can get out there now, this is the best time to be going. Now till ice is unsafe. Up here we are just starting to nail pike on the tip ups. Our fishing season closes at the end of the month then we start hitting Manitoba for lakers from beginning of April till ice is not safe. My last laker trip last year was April 30/31

dld24

I had a great day today using a 1oz PK flutterfish…All three just flew up and smoked it…I just kept ripping it 5 or 6 feet and letting that spoon flutter down and they were digging it…That was the first time catching a laker what a blast…I’m hooked now…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Glad you had a great time. I’ll be up tomorrow eve. Let me know if you’ll be out.

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Congrats on your first lakers. Just to let you know it does become mind consuming at times

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

FYI for anyone headed up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I want to do this so bad I am mad that I’m not making plans right now. I don’t think I can pull it off this year unless it goes for a few more weekends???

dld24

Got my PB laker today 31″ fatty…

I don’t know why my picture is blurry Laker Video

Al Case

Nice video. What color of PK was that…looked like chartreuse glow?
    Al

dld24

I got that one on the chrome and I’ve had luck with the pearl chatreuse

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.