North shore Lodging

• trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Hi All
    Anyone have any info on north shore lodging? A quick Google brings up lodging, but prices start at $100 or more. Im looking for something decent but less costly. do they exist or is this the common rate?
    thanks for any help.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Where on the shore? Duluth? Two Harbors? Further up? If you are looking at weekends, that c-note start is a bargain. Weekdays have the best rates, but beware of the shift for Friday and Saturday nights.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yep. Even a c note for a motel is typical.

Not many places to go wrong up there, but you’ll get what you pay for.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

currently planning two harbors to grand maris. Is this thier rate year round or fall color rate?

we had a trip planned to lake Michigan planned, and had reservations for $60 but a terminal illness in the family is coming to a conclusion, so we need to stay closer to home.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There are so many things going on up on the shore all year that rates are based on quiet times vs demand. Demand is on weekends or when events run thru the week. Rates might drop in the dead of winter or if the lack of snow makes for the lack of business. The colors will bring huge numbers to the shore.

Two Harbors has Superior Shores and it is a great place to call base. If you want to fish but don’t want to drag a boat, Two Harbors offers shore-type fishing off the breakwater and as many fish are caught there as in boats during the fall season. Lake Trout closes the last day of September but salmon, both Kings and Cohos, will be found in numbers as will steelhead and loopers. Check out Larsmont Cottages too. Larsmont is located on the Scenic Drive between Duluth and Two Harbors on the Two Harbors end….nice digs here. I’ve stayed at Larsmont during the winter when we couldn’t get into our cabin.

Scenery is always just a short drive out of town on any of the well-maintained county roads. Grand Marias, Silver Bay, Beaver Bay are all just up Highway 61 inside of 60 miles. Splitrock LightHouse and State Park is a short drive as is Gooseberry Falls State park. Ely is an hour and a half drive away and worth a day trip if you have a few days planned and the trip there is thru some of the most beautiful country up there.

On another note, I’m sorry to hear of your needs to stay nearby. My prayers are with you and all concerned. Hopefully your plans will go un-fettered.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

thanks for your help and wishes Tom. it is going to be a huge loss. Its my niece. 27 year old incurable sarcoma cancer. leaving behind a 4 yr old daughter. there has not been a dry eye most of the week.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

my prayers are with you,yours and her families
    im deeply sorry.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Prayers sent to your family… Gods speed

Mark

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

This is the link to a new/recently remodeled place right in “downtown” Beaver Bay; so mid-shore and super convenient to the SB boat launch. Simple, but updated rooms from the looks of them, so if you don’t have a large party and they have room(s), looks like you get by for under $100/nt even on summer weekends.

Haven’t stayed there myself as my folks have a place further up the shore, but have had dinner in their restaurant/pub and was pretty good.

http://campsixtyone.com/bunkhouse.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.