Superior fishing!!

• horsch
    Hastings, MN

I’m going up to Hebster next weekend, Memorial day weekend and try fishing. Anyone been up then yet?? Hopefully weather will be nicer!!!

horsch
    Hastings, MN

well went up to Superior this weekend!! launched out of Barkers, Saturday fished from noon to about 6pm and caught 1-27″ brown,1 laker,1 coho, 1 16″ walleye, not to bad for leaving Hastings at 9am. Sunday went out at about 6am to 10:30am only caught 1-17″ walleye and 1 little coho, got little too wavey for us in 16 1/2 foot boat on Sunday!! But all in all not to bad for us, had alot of fun!! Wife and my step-son and myself. Can’t wait to go again!! Hopefully this weekend!! Caught most 20 feet down in 30- 50 feet and one on surface.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

went up the week of the 6/26-27th, tried Superior side on Saturday with only one hit, which he got off!! Sunday trid the Duluth side by Lester river with only one laker being caught!! kinda slow!! tried deep and shallow. oh well cant catch them all the time!! going to try again over the 4th, hopefully have better luck

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Fished over the weekend. Saturday the 3rd my wife and I caught 4 fish 1 keeper coho and 3 lakers only keep 1, which was 8pds. Caught them out from WI side out about 7 miles and 1 on surface rest on riggers 100 feet of water and down 20-40 feet. Sunday got late start because of weather misty, went out about 10am til 3pm got rough and windy, only caught 1 laker out from WI again. Monday was just too crapy to go out windy and raining!! Sure wish summer would come!!

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Fished out of Two Harbors on Sat. 7/17, started at about 6:30am and fished all day since nice out, to about 6pm. Right off the bat we caught a 7 pd laker on the surface in about 40 feet of water, and then came back through same area agin and had another hit, but miss that one. Troller all the way down to Knife river and picked up 3- coho’s, water temp was warmer down by Knife so we decided to fish out the rest of the day there, so we ended up with 4 fish on Sat. with just 4 lines outs, not great but not bad, had alot of fun!! Sunday we, tried out of the Knife river area right away and trolled south of there, got out there about 7 am by 9-9:30am the fog rolled in and could only see about 100-200 yard in front of you! We fished til noon, with nothing to show for it. Well can’t always caught them i guess, til next time!! Water temp was from 56 to 53 in area’s

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Saturday 7/24, wife and I fished out of Two Harbors, started put at 7am and fished til 5 pm. We went north of Two Harbors trolling surface lures for most of the day. We picked up 4 lakers within an hour, so after that we stared getting pickier, for size!! The one we catch were not huge, 3-4 pound range, but still ok. So then we tried out deeper and downriggered for few hours to try for bigger fish , but nothing to show so then we went back and surfaced fished for the last two fish we needed to fill limit, which we did on way back to landing. Surface temps were from 54 to 58, was a nice day to be out, wind was calm and temp was perfect!! Sunday we went out at Knife River, but only for about hour, started getting little too rough for us so we just packed it in for the weekend. So til next time!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Thanks for the updates. I haven’t been up that way in quite some time and it is sure good to here about the area. You ever go inland and fish Wolf lake? It’s kindf of long and narrow but the walleyes are sure gold there. We also caught quite a fiew crappies there also. Steve

horsch
    Hastings, MN

hey Steve, No I have’nt tried the walleye fishing on inland lakes, really should i suppose, when too rough to be out on big lake!! Thanks for info!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You guys have any advice for a first time trip to superior? Time of year, what to bring, fishing charters, ect.

Thanks
    Mike W.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Hey Mike, I really cant tell you what charter to try, I never been on one at Lake Superior. But I know there are a few ti choose from in Duluth area. Go down by Baker’s Island landing that is where most of charter boats are docked, or go to fishduluth.com or visitduluth.com and they have info also. Time of year depends on what trying to catch? Now is good time to catch fish on surface, since water is warmer now than probably will for the rest of the year. I was catching lakers in 20-40 feet of water last weekend on the surface, did’nt catch one fish deep! Thats about all I can tell you, hope it helps some!! I’am going to try Two Rivers, WI this weekend, I never been there before so hoping to it will work out for us!! I will report when i get back.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Well, tried Lake Michigan!! Too far of a drive for me!! I’ll stick with Lake Superior! Got out there Friday afternoon,got everything ready and relaxed that night. Saturday morning we got up, wife,step-son and me, went out for about one hour and had enough of the waves!! I say they had to be 3-5 footers, so got of the lake and went back to rest up a bit, went back to check the lake conditions about 1pm and looked better so we went out again til 9:30pm, caught one coho, tried deep 140 tried shallow 70′ and thats all we have to show. Went back to landing and few guys were cleaning fish, but not many. They were saying it was better the day before, some luck eh!! We woke up today Suday and was way to rough of water for us so we just packed up and came back. Going to stick with Lake Superior for here on out!! I think a guy needs to take a week off to fish Lake Michigan so you will have some nice weather to fish in!! But thats just my opinion!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the help on finding a charter. I will post a report if we get out.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Hey, Well I think we went out for the last time for 2004!! Wife, step-daughter, and myself went out 8/21 from Superior side out WI entry, and fished out in about 70′-90′ water temp was anywhere from 50-43, we did’nt get out fishing til 12:00pm and fished til 3:30 or so caught one in about 1/2 hour after out there, nice 6 pound laker in about 80′ and was fishing at 75′ down with a j-plug. The other laker was 3 1/2 pounds and caught when on surface with a rapala. All in all good day, should of got out there sooner but! Had plans to try Two Harbors, went up there earlry in morning and tried but just too wavey soo headed down to Superior, but of course there were garage sales too hit!! With two women in car, had no choice!! Sunday we decided to not go out, so that is probably it for me til next spring, starting to get the hunting itch!!! So til next spring, at least for Lake Superior fishing. Good lucking fishing and hunting!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the reports. Superior is one of those places I wantr to try some day. There just seems to be alot of places like that. Would love to get my hands on some of the smoked fish from up that way.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

Hey Mike, Did you ever get out on charter? Next year, maybe I can get you some of that smoked fish!! I really should keep going up fishing, should get good again! I miss it already. Do you have a boat to go up and try with?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My ride is a 16′ jon boat. It can handle a 6′ wave pretty well. Its the rest of the 6’ers that are coming after that I have a problem with. I’m mostly set up for fishing the skinny rivers around the state. Hopefully in the next year or 2 there will be a big water boat sitting along side the jon boat.
    Theres just something about trolling for big fish that sounds great.
    We did not make it out on a charter this summer. It might still happen. You just never know.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.