Fish and superior?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Our trip to 2 harbors/silver bay fell through, but we may just hit the Launch in Superior Wisc as we can do that in a day.

Any fish near the Duluth/Superior area, worth hitting there??
    Tips?

Al

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Last weekend we saw a lot of Pink Salmon in the rivers, from Gooseberry all the way up to the Cascade. Caught two small Rainbows on the Baptism. It wasn’t great but the scenery is sure nice.

Rootski

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Our trip to 2 harbors/silver bay fell through, but we may just hit the Launch in Superior Wisc as we can do that in a day.

Tips?

Al

I don’t have anything for you from the Duluth area but I did fish up the North Shore yesterday jigging for lakers and we did very well (30-35 fish boated) jigging in 65′ – 85′ early and late in the day and 115′ – 130′ mid-day when the winds laid down. Big 6″ – 8″ swimbaits on 1.5 Oz. jigs resulted in a fabulous day. If you end up getting out near Duluth I’d definitely rely on the electronics to find fish then drop a jig on their noggins. They’re in an eating mood.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Tips?

Al

I don’t have anything for you from the Duluth area but I did fish up the North Shore yesterday jigging for lakers and we did very well (30-35 fish boated) jigging in 65′ – 85′ early and late in the day and 115′ – 130′ mid-day when the winds laid down. Big 6″ – 8″ swimbaits on 1.5 Oz. jigs resulted in a fabulous day. If you end up getting out near Duluth I’d definitely rely on the electronics to find fish then drop a jig on their noggins. They’re in an eating mood.

Great, I have a few of them swim baits I was using on Musky’s and wind is supposed to be calm so I’ll leave the bow mount on and go look.
    I have a spinning set up I’ve been waiting to try on them big fish..

Was hoping to get up by where you guys are, but not to be.

We’ll be making next year’s reservations much earlier in the year.

Thanks.

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tips?

Al

Great, I have a few of them swim baits I was using on Musky’s and wind is supposed to be calm so I’ll leave the bow mount on and go look.
    I have a spinning set up I’ve been waiting to try on them big fish..

Was hoping to get up by where you guys are, but not to be.

We’ll be making next year’s reservations much earlier in the year.

Thanks.

Al

Have fun. White or Shad (grey over white) seemed to work the best.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks James, I have a favorite white and slightly pink one I try first..

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Al

Oh, yeah. That will work. Grant does well on white over pink bucktails.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Al

Marine General has gotten rich off me and Grants suggestions..:)

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Al

Marine General has gotten rich off me and Grants suggestions..:)

Al

The ends we will go to and the money we’ll spend just to catch a fish.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Ok, maybe thinking of driving up to Two Harbors Sunday instead of just going out of Superior Wisc.

Wodering if fishing would be better enough to make the extra drive worth it???
    tia

Al

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Well, it is a bit after 5 am and the sleeper has awaken and says she’ll be ready in a few minutes, the moon is full, the sky is clear and weather forecasts are good.

Her highness has not been on a big lake ever since the 45 mph torrential rain storm on milacs many years back.
    Wish us luck..

Ya all have a great day.

Al

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Well, good day and bad, must be my turn to carry Murphy around for a bit.

Got to 2 harbors about 9:30 and launched into a windy but beautiful day.

Got the downriggers out and ran them for a bit, waiting to see how Lori would handle the big lake, turns out she had a good time, enjoyed the scenic views and we stayed close enough to shore so she stayed comfortable on the water.

After a bit I set up the masted boards and found I forgot the release devices for it, so we long lined a couple of rods.

Fish for the day was one appox 4# Laker that got off right at the boat.

About three the Dramamine started to wear off and she wanted to go in, wind was getting cooler and it was windy enough we had white caps.

Unfortunately I fell while getting the truck and now am home trying to recover assorted bruises and possibly a cracked rib, but the good thing is she wants to go again…:)

We decided to take Wisc 53 home as with all the leave watchers we figured traffic on 35 would be bad, run into a detour and letting the garmin do it’s thing, we ended up on a ATV trail…ya about 12 miles of sandy four wheel drive road,I do have to laugh at the two guys in the ATV’s who watched us drive by, probably not often they see a pick up truck towing a boat down one of their trails.

6 hours to get from 2 Harbors to Mpls…next time we’ll take 35.
    Or we’ll go by the map that had us going 53 to 63 to 35 and forgo the ATV trails and gravel-dirt-? roads.

Al

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Anytime spent with the FW is quality time…even if it was on an ATV trail.

Wish we had GPS units like that when I was 18.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.