fish?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Hoping for one more trip up to Superior maybe in the next weekend (Sept 29th) and wondering are the kings and coho’s still up the north shore?

Trying to figure out what launch to start at and maybe what baits to try?

TIA
    al

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve been up to the cabin in Two Harbors for the last 10 days and have been either casting the breakwater or trolling every day.

From the boat we took king salmon to 10 pounds along with lots of lakers in the 6 to 10 pound range. From the wall I took herring to 5 pounds, a couple of smallish cohos and a few steelhead in the 5-6 pound range. I took one really nice looper that was 27″.

All of the salmon and steelhead came from very close to the surface while the trout tended to be deep…..70 to 110 feet. In the boat nothing beat a gold/orange bait whether it was a blade or stickbait. Off the breakwater green/silver reigned supreme and every fish I caught while casting came off that color. Spinners were my best bait while casting but Kroks did well too.

In another thread some questions on water temp came up. On Friday we found water right around 50 degrees in a couple spots, a tad cooler in most others. Then the big blow came thru Friday night and Saturday showed us 44 degree water all day and again this morning. Saturday had some swells on the lake but the wind was persistant out of the NW/West so we launched and put up with some rolling around in the morning but the watergot smoother and smoother as the day wore on and Saturday was our best fish numbers day.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks Tom, hoping to get up there at least for a day.
    Barring winds, maybe leave the trolling motor on the bow and try to spin cast for one of them Kings..

Weather/wind will tell, but I’m schuelded to work next sat and trying to find a trade or maybe go up monday.

Depends on finding a partner too.

Al

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Sunday the 30th will be the last hurrah for lakers this year. There are plenty of salmon and steelhead around though.

I mentioned in your birthday greeting a good combo for the salmons. A number 13 floating or jointed Rapala in gold/orange or solid bright orange pulled behind a jet diver or dipsy at 20 feet will get the salmon. The water has really chilled and they seem to be quite high up. The loopers are starting to show already and the steelhead were right up near the top 10 feet of water along with the loopers.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks Tom, can you fish Lakers on Sunday then?
    Looks like sat or sunday then for a day.

I do believe I have a orange rap or two…:)
    Al

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

All Sunday long Al.Monday will be a different ball game laker-wise. If you drop a bomb or two for the trout, we seemed to find them in water ranging from 140 up to around 90. The humps had some fish at 55 feet or so a couple times on Saturday.

All of our lakers came from behind the weight with at least 20 feet of line between the lure and the ball. Any shorter and even the good baits were ignored.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Looks like if I can find someone to go with we’ll be able to stay fairly close to shore and fish a bit shallower than last time (500fow)

Thanks.

Al

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.