Park Point activity?

• rnikko

Looking to get out this weekend, if the weather cooperates, any reports of success trolling of Park Point on up to Lester River?

rnikko

Well, we headed out Sunday, May 2nd and I can safely say that if there had been any fish in the area we should have at least snagged one! Had two hits right on the bottom in 90′ to 110′ of water but both pulled off. Tried all throughout the water column in 40, 70, 90, and 120′ of water, including the mudline off Superior entry. We’ll give it a couple of weeks and try again when the water warms up.

rnikko

Went out again on 5/15. Fished MN side in front of the point on up to Lester River. Had no luck in shallow but picked up some from 100′ out to 120′. 15′ to 25′ down.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Lakers or salmon? Thanks for the reports from the REALLY BIG pond.

rnikko

Knew I forgot somethin’….. 2 Coho 20′ down on a rigger (Rainbow / chrome reef runner). 1 Laker landed (4.5#) 15′ off the bottom in 110′ in front of Lester on a jointed blue Rapala, lost another right on the bottom same lure just sat on the bottom and shook a few times. Also lost one screamer in front of Duluth entry in roughly 70′ (almost on top of Thomas Wilson) on rigger 25′ down.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Thanks for letting us know about that area. We used to fish some around the Lester and further up the shore in the spring. We used to pull raps but if my memory is correct they were the shallow diving ones. We were probably fishing down maybe 10 feet and we done prety good. I think they were mostly steelhead but I could be wrong. Have you tried jigging for them using minnow and large swedish pimple or cleo We had good luck using those also. Can you post some photo’s from up that way? I grew up in that neck of the woods. Ever fish Rice, ,Fish ,Island, Boulder, or other area lakes. How about under the high bridge by all the old pilings. Steve

rnikko

Will actually try jigging when I am back up there over Memorial Day wkend. We’ve had pretty good luck in the past out in 110′ to 120′ in front of the Lester jigging Pimples or big white bucktails with cut frozen smelt or suckers. Also have had luck pulling soft body jigs (storms, powerbait, etc)with suckers off the mudline at Superior entry for walleyes and coho. I haven’t fished Boulder/Fish/Island in years, I live outside of Minneapolis (Maple Grove) but have land just SW of Duluth so I get up there as often as I can. If the pond is too rough we usually fish out near Cromwell on some smaller lakes for eyes.

rnikko

We hit it again last weekend both Friday afternoon and Saturday Morning. Marked a good number of fish in front of DUluth Entry from 50 to 80 ft. Had 12 hits but only landed 3 nice Coho’s (one on a flatline pulling a fire tiger jointed shad rap, one on a side planing dipsey w/ a yellow rapala, one on a downrigger set at 25′ w/ a dodger/fly/shiner). Went through several surface schools of coho but could not pick up any lakers or kings.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

You ever have any troubles with the jointd raps getting twisted apart in the middle when fighting lakers or slamon? Even the walleye can pull this off from time to time. Curious if some of the better fighting fish make short work of these baits?

Thanks for the reports.

rnikko

No problems yet (knock on wood) but then the fish we have had on them have been smaller Cohos. The action on the jointed Shads seems to be outstanding, especially at slower speeds early in the season. Historically I have used the standard jointed floating Rapalas and had good success. With any luck at all I will be gatting back out again in the next week.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Those baits make me real nervous.

I lost a big 28″+ walleye last fall on mille lacs at boat side on a firetiger jointed the got ripped in half (unfortunately for that fish the back half of the plug stayed stuck in the corner of her mouth ) and I’ve had 3 or 4 wrenched apart on the Mississippi River in the net. The older raps had an internal wire that connected the hooks to each other. These new jointeds lack some durability.

But they do catch fish. If I ever loose a 12 lb walleye on one I’m going to hunt somebody down at Normark.

Thanks again for the reports!

rnikko

Headed out this morning around 6:00 and set up 2 miles out from Superior entry. Fished MN waters for 3 hours with only 1 lost fish on a flatline pulling a jointed floating Rapala (yellow). Picked up and motored over to Lester and trolled back towards Duluth entry in the wake of an outbound freighter. Picked up 7# king 15′ off the bottom in 110′ on a green/prism Pro King. Lost another (Coho, I’m guessing) that shook free 20 yards shy of the boat on a watermelon/prism Pro King set 25′ down. After resetting that rod on the rigger the wire line started throbbing and we landed a 5# redfin on a blue/chrome spoon in 100′. Lost two more (both 15′ off the bottom in 90 – 100 fow on watermelon/prism PK) before packing it up at noon. Beautiful day out there today.

rnikko

Decided to be brave (or incredibly patient anyway) and took my sons (ages 3 and 6) out for a brief afternoon troll yesterday. Launched from Park Point at 12:30 and had perfect water out there. Marked large numbers of fish off of the point in 85 to 100 fow, mostly on the bottom up to 65′. Had one fish on (green/glo spoon, 10′ off the bottom) which broke the snap swivel but no other releases. Thinking I could have had some luck jigging but my crew was not that willing so we trolled for 3 hours and headed for the barn. Looking to get out again next week.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.