Madison Lake Area Weekly Report

• rynewhite
    Madison Lake, MN

Greetings to All!!! I will reporting here on a weekly basis from the new Bait Shop here in Madison Lake (Walt’s Hook Line and Sinker), from the fishermen for the fishermen!

Wow the heat is getting old!! The fishing has been a little slow on some of the area lakes, due to the weather. If it is not 95 with a dew point in the 70’s it is spitting back at us, some severe again.

Panfish: Well it has been good fishing for the crappies on Duck Lake in the evening time on and around the 15 foot rim in a variety of spots. Most of the guys are still using crappie minnows and nightcrawlers. There have been multiple reports from Roemhildts for both sunnys and crappies around 10-12, a little deeper for the crappies. Roemhildts has been a busy lake this week for some reason, a lot of guys and gals traveling over there. German and Madison Lakes have consistently been good for some good sized sunnys, the sunnys seem to grow very well in the Lakes. Four days ago I caught 12 in about a hour and averaged 9-11 inches, using a moon glow and ant jigs tipped with panfish leeches, in Madison.

Bass: It seems like a lot of people are fishing for bass, more reports for bass than anything else. Reports from Duck, West Jefferson, and Madison. Nightcrawlers seem to work the best for Madison. Some people were using spinners, cranks, and raps, which I prefer.

Northern: I dind’t hear much for northern reports except Elysian and Francis. At Elysian they were caught in 8-10 using rattlin raps. At francis, the fellow said he was using suckers and no other specifics.

Walleye: The walleye reports have been ok, just again due to heat, who wants to go out and roast and sweat just sitting there, this isn’t florida. Again, multiple reports from the Minnesota, Blue Earth, and Le Sueur Rivers. Most of the guys are using leeches, crawlers and artificial worms. A report from German, sorry no specifics. A report from Washington around 3rd point using fatheads around 12-15 feet. I myself on Sat. went to the Rapidan Dam and caught two saugers and one walleye right below the dam, getting ready for this weeks tournament and the big 100 year celebration. Also night fishing we caught 2 small channel cats by the sandbar on the back side of the camping area. Bring extra gear if you go out there, this part of the river loves eating your gear without guilt.

Remember the Catfish tournament in Belle Plaine, this will be a fun one, Cat Rats are to meet at the North Park starting Friday the 13th, at 4 pm going through the night. Remember there was a lot of flooding in between St. Peter and Le Sueur, I’m sure this will be a busy area for the tourney, thats where I would be! $25 only and pays out good!

The other tournament I have to mention is the Rapidan Dam, also a fun time. I will be attending this one for fun. It starts at 10 am and make sure to register early, it opens at 9 am on the 14th. There are a ton of activities for everone, to mention a few, horse shoe tourney, canoe rides and races, Betsy Tacy Society performing at 1 pm. Make sure to get some of the Dam pie, it is Damn good! Really good, had some for breakfast on Sunday as we were leaving.

Good Luck Fishing and remember to take a kid fishing!

fireline
    Rochester

Can you give me directions on how to get to Rapidan Dam from Madison .Thanks

rynewhite
    Madison Lake, MN

The easiest way by more traveled highways, would be to take 60 back to 14 west, follow into Mankato. Take Hwy 169 south, follow past South Bend about 5-6 miles, and look for Cty Road 9 which goes to the west and 190th which goes to the east. You need to head east on 190th for about 3-4 miles and the dam is off to the left. The back roads are Hwy 66 and 33 which go by Mount Kato and can be confusing but along the 33 and 66 it crosses the Blue Earth river several times and I stop below each of the bridges for some walleye action, it can pay off. Hope to see you there!

fireline
    Rochester

Thanks , that helped alot. Don’t know at this time if I can make it ,will see . Thanks again .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.