How to catch walleyes in southern mn lakes.

• KennyH

Can any one give me some help in catching walleyes in mankato fairbult area lakes? the water are very warm about 67 degress how deep to fish? Been trying for a couple of years and not having any luck.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

The problem I have always had is the shallow lakes getting so weed choked you couldn’t fish them. If you can, pulling spinners or cranks on weedlines can work well. And you never know what is gonna hit your presentation. Good luck!

dd

nobaitnate
    Rice Co. MN

working cranks and live bait along weedlines is always a great option in this neck of the woods. also don’t be afraid to throw cranks shallow on windblown shorelines. try 2-12′ for your best bet. can be a hassle pulling off so many weeds but the other casts you’re bound to be pulling off fish….

chucklofgren

First went down to that area in 1998 after the tornadoes in St. Peter (work). Did well trolling shad raps in 8-11 feet for walleyes. When that bite died down – moved out to 25-28′ with downriggers and husky jerks and caught walleyes and big crappies. Weed edges are key in shallow water. Downriggers are great for basin fish. You could also use leadcore if you don’t have access to riggers. The key is to cover water until you find fish. It has worked well for me the last 12 years in the summer months.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Rattle Traps
    #5 shad raps
    2-8ft shorelines with weeds & wind & rocks = walleyes

flatlandfowler

Quote:

#5 shad raps
    2-8ft shorelines with weeds & wind & rocks = walleyes

Advise you can take to heart there. Also Thunderstick Jr.s can be worth their weight in gold.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

In shallow lakes i think wind is a big part. With little or no wind it is always tough. The lakes i fish we either pull rapalas in about 5 feet of water or cast either rapalas or twister in 1-5 feet of water. We never have had much luck with live bait cuz there is usually alot of bullheads in shallow lakes that like to steal your bait before the walleyes can get to it but thats not every lake

hawkeye27

work the weed lines with just about anything from rapala’s to spinners or even floating jig head and you have increased your chances

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

Quote:

Can any one give me some help in catching walleyes in mankato fairbult area lakes? the water are very warm about 67 degress how deep to fish? Been trying for a couple of years and not having any luck.

Lab Man,

It may be the water’s you’re fishing. If you want to disclose where you’ve tried, I can help from there.

KennyH

I fish Madison lake and Washington can move to different lakes if better fishing is heard of. Thanks for for all the tipss everyone.

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

We need to broaden your horizons. Send me an e-mail and we’ll kick some ideas around. If you could let me know how you’re fishing on Washington and Madison, that will help get things started.

[email protected]

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Those lakes are as good as any in SC Minnesota. Right now there is a good weed bite taking place on both. Find good weeds, cast shallow running cranks and hang on. Mornings have been best. Nows the time to learn em both in the weeds.

Also a decent deep water trolling bite will likely start or has started on both already. I will find out where that one is this weekend.
    Good luck – hoop n scoop.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Jig the docks and fallen trees early morning–this used to work well for me on Duck.
    In fall when the frogs are crossing the roads from swamps to shallow lakes, throw large river suckers on #2 hooks with slip sinker over the edge of drop offs after dark. We used to nail 24-inchers during the World Series while sitting in a warm van on the north shores of Elysian or Eagle, with bail open, rod propped on a stick and tinfoil from cigarette pack pinched on the line as a marker.
    While we’re watching the game and sipping our “hot chocolat”, we would check the foil periodically with a 12 volt searchlite. Be sure to give the hog plenty of time to swallow before you set the hook.
    They hold the Series later in the season now so you have to watch the frosts and frog movement. Seemed like the best bite was after a brite sunny day. At Eagle, it was neccessary to wear chestwaders to get out far enough to pitch the sucker over your shoulder into the deep where the hungry mommas patrolled filling up on hibernating frogs. Come to think of it, not many frogs around nowdays, so good luck!

goldy gopher
    Le Sueur, MN

Quote:

Those lakes are as good as any in SC Minnesota. Right now there is a good weed bite taking place on both. Find good weeds, cast shallow running cranks and hang on. Mornings have been best. Nows the time to learn em both in the weeds.

Also a decent deep water trolling bite will likely start or has started on both already. I will find out where that one is this weekend.
    Good luck – hoop n scoop.

Yes, they are good, no doubt but I’d put Elysian, Cannon, Tetonka, Shields, Fox, Loon, Crystal and Gorman, just for starters, in front of them any day of the week.

Lab Man,

As I mentioned earlier, send me an e-mail when you have a chance.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I will give you Tetonka, but the rest of them are pretty hit and miss. Granted, when those shallow lakes are hot, they go on fire and like taking candy from a baby, but day in day out or year in year out Madison, Washington, and Tetonka are the best lakes in SC Mn IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.