Albert Lea Lake???

• captaincat
    SE MN

Guys and gals,
    I NEVER hear anything about Albert Lea Lake. Is there something wrong with it? Polluted? Shallow? Sterile? Any info is appreciated.

Stiff lines!

Capn Cat

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

It is shallow and rumor has it it’s polluted, that’s why there isn’t any fishing pressure and no one talks about it, but there are some nice perch and walleyes in there! You can check the DNR website for the fish consumption advisory to see if it’s polluted.

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

I checked the data on the DNR website and the info indicates the fish is safe to eat. I was surprised to see the number and size of crappies caught during the latest survey, might have to go there! The max depth is 6′ with 3′ being the average depth.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I graduated from AL, and rarely fished there. The few times I did was earlyin the year from the dam at Fountain down to where the channel dups into AL. Crappies, perch, walleyes, pike, bullheads, etc all could be caught. I was surprised at the size of the walleyes at times. Rumor has it that the ice fishing can be good at the mouth as well.

captaincat
    SE MN

Thanks for the info, everyone. For years, I remember driving over the bridge on my way to college in Iowa and never seeing anyone working the water.

All the best!

Captain Cat

Jira

Don’t bring your boat… waders is all you need — You can tell that when u drive by and see cows standing in the middle!!

Seriously, I was born in AL, grandfather was the ALHS principal back in the day. My dad grew up on fountain lake water skiing and fishing.

From what I hear AL lake was mostly Farm Poluted (pecticides, fertalizers) back in the day. Also it’s always been a pit for dirt errosion and has had to be dredged many times… like fountain. People mostly fish at the dam between Fountain and AL lake.

Personally I would be chastized if I ever fished either one by my family P

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.