Walleye action

• Anonymous

It’s been over a week since I have been on the Faribo lakes, but I hit shields on the 11-5. I was really out checking some GPS spots for accuracy before ice-up, but some fishing none the less. Shields was my plan C choice as wind and lack of a dock/waders deferred my first two choices–Cannon/French. I hooked into some smaller eyes pulling cranks in 16 ft. of water at sunset. The fish were hitting on the bigger perch pattern taildancer (the thing does actually catch eye’s) and that crank only runs 10 ft. deep–so the package says. I hooked a couple 2-3 in about half an hour. Meanwhile I rigged another rod to run a 3-way rig to pull cranks closer to the bottom. The eye’s didn’t want that. Went through the same area again with the taildancer and got one more walleye. All the fish were about 12 inchers–it was a tug on the line, but too small for table or pictures. But it was spot run and I split about an hour into darkness as the eyes weren’t hitting my offerings anymore anyway.

Pool 4 has had my attention lately and is given up some productive trips lately–if you can go during the week.

What’s going on at the outlet of Sakatah that I keep getting asked about? Are there walleyes hitting below sakatah on the river? Are they landlocked? It sounds as if there has been a lot of anglers there for some reason late at nite past the time the new-sers and snoozers are generally there.

I hope to hit the lakes in Faribo yet before ice up, but home on the river can be so nice! And as this year is unravelling it may even freeze and the ice can be very nice in the lakes in that area. It will be a different first ice bite for sure after the freeze outs from last winter.

Fish On!

DONOTDELETE

TGIF

Whcih lakes froze out over in that area? Hopefully it wasn’t too darn many… there’s some mighty good fishing to be had on thsoe smaller lakes if you take the time to find the spot on the spot. Have you considered fishing Cannon at night at the narrows? I’ve done real well there late in the fall at night throwing raps or plactics.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

Anonymous

James,

Unfortunately there were a few lakes that took a hit due to the lack of oxygen. Lakes such as Elysian, Circle, Rice, Crystal, Cody Phelps all had many floating fish after ice out. The irritating thing is that Elysian which was probably the best for walleyes had a aeration system in place but due to some power struggles between people the aeration system was turned on too late. Plus a 5 mile stretch of lake needs more than one in my opinion, but I’m not a biologist either– I only wish that the lesson is learned from it and what’s best for the fishery be done with good intentions.

Cannon although has some current to oxgenate the water which for a shallow lake like that is probably it’s only hope. I believe the freeze did take it’s toll on Cannon also. The lake has been low the last 2-3 years and this year is dangerously low this year and if we have another winter like last year with low water I hate to think of the effect on the fishery.

Yes, to the question on fishing the Cannon narrows. Last fall the oct. harvest moon bite was the best period of the year. I hooked a 27.5 that was 7 lbs. and lost a much bigger fish the next night–I believe it would have been 30 inches–a trophy for Cannon. This fall has not held up as well, but the water temps. are much higher. Last year the duck sloughs were iced up the 2nd weekend in Oct. this year I haven’t had to bust ice yet.

I thought that firearms deer opener was my shot to nail some there, but I only got one hit and release–I left too early. Hard to sit sometimes for 5 hours for the next hit!

Do you still hit the ice when the river freezes up?

Thanks for the great web sites and info you guys are providing anglers. It’s great stuff!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.