What size of Drift Sock to Use?

• Al Case

I’ve got a 1775 lund pro v with a 70 yamaha tiller that only trolls down to 2.8 mph or so. I’m heading up to Mille Lacs this weekend and want to buy some drift socks to drop my speed down to 2 mph or so. I’ve heard from some retailers to use two 26 inch socks from the front and others have told me 2 30 inch socks. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Al

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Aluma 165 60 hp yammi tiller. 2.30 with out socks
    using 2 38″ on the bow and no wind i idle at 1.50 or so.
    i am using the cabelas socks, like them. just added a 6′ rope and didnt worry about a fancy float like some use. the socks have weight and float built in. I think they are on sale now for arount $25 ea. not sure how close you are. make sure if they are off the front use two when going forward or she will really pull. i guess i like bigger cuz you can always rev it up a bit for more speed but cant go slower than idle will let you.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I use 1 cabelas black large sock on my 17′ with a 115 and hook it to the front cleat right in front of me at the contols, and I can get down to 1.5 or so on gps. This set up lets me lift up and into the boat just by standing up and grabing the blue strap and pull it up and set in in front of my windsheild, and then easy to deploy, just grab it and toss overboard. With the 2 sock set up you havde to go up front and pull 2 socks in, by then I would be gone with the setup I have.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

make sure if they are off the front use two when going forward or she will really pull.

Quote:

I have have no pull with mine just in front of me at the wheel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.