12/26 – 12/29 report

• burbob
    Hastings,MN

A friend and I spent a few days on Mille Lacs for our annual Christmas break fishing trip. We got there late Wednesday afternoon and started fishing some shoreline structure and nearby reefs. We caught a few small eyes and a pout but nothing of interest. Thursday we started on the reefs again and had the same slow result. Thursday afternoon we moved off of the reefs and away from others to some deep water. I don’t think my spoon got 10 feet from bottom when a jumbo came screaming up and drilled it. We ended that day with 7 perch and 1 eye. Friday we headed out to the same area, there was more traffic in the area and no fish, I think we struggled for 5 perch and 1 or 2 small eyes. Saturday we moved farther off of the beaten path and found fish again. Most of the fish were racing up to the bait then barely twitching the spring bobber, not the aggressive eaters they had been earlier in the week. We also caught a few nice walleyes on Saturday, the biggest of the trip a fat 25″ I caught about 10 feet down in 31 fow, and a few nice 15inchers. Final tally for the fry pan was 18 perch, most between 10″ and 12″ with a few scratching 13″ and 3 eater eyes. All in all another great break spent on the ice.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.