Trolling Line

• bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Alright guys, I know this is one of those questions asked a lot…and has a lot to do with personal preference, but, I’ll ask anyway. For trolling cranks what type of line do you prefer to use? I myself go back and forth between fireline and 10 lb XT. The 10 pound has worked great for me pulling boards because of the size of the fish, ease of clipping on the boards, trolling bible, etc. Don’t get me wrong, the fall bite, going slow, weeds present, etc. I like fireline better. It just seems like I have too many fish come unbuttoned with the fireline, and I do use long, soft tipped rods. Tuck has me thinking about trying Suffix, but I just wanted to get some opinions. Am I the only one still using mono out there (and if so why is the trolling bible based on 10 lb. mono)? Thanks for the input!

Brian

ted-merdan

For me it all depends on the situation. Hands down I prefer mono, but that always doesn’t work. First determine the depth you want to achieve with your bait – this may drive you to either leadcore or fireline. Next consider the application you are trolling. Wing dams work better with fireline (less baits lost). I like fireline and lead right off the boat but last year in green bay we ran all mono with inline spinners for those suspended fish. Mono has more forgiveness and for me results in fewer fish lost. With lead or fireline, be sure to adjust your rod actions and pay attention to the hooks on your cranks! When playing fish on lead/fireline it’s ultra important to hold that rod steady and reel the fish in with a loose drag.

Sounds like you have the book, make sure to note that which ever brand of mono you use, pay attention to the line diameter. 10# XT is thicker than 10XL so you bait will run deeper.

Good luck with your choice.

ted

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

I prefer fireline over mono for trolling. I use it on all my line counters. I like it for more easily feeling debris on the line, and I like its smaller diameter for getting the same baits deeper. I personally haven’t felt like I have lost fish due to the no-stretch factor… so that makes my personal choice easy… fireline.

Todd_NE

I wish there was a right answer, it would save me money.

Honestly I have a lot of different mono, fireline, and lead setups and let the fish and conditions dictate.

If I had four rods as an example. I’d probably rig up 2 with fireline and 2 with mono. I’d use the same brand of line but in different colors, makes it easier if you tangle too.

This is the wrong thing to say but I’ve found few mono’s I don’t like. Bass Pro, Cabela’s, Berkely XL, Big Game, Cajun (great line by the way), and I still think silver thread is tough tough stuff. I usually try to buy it in bulk spools and I change mono pretty often, especially if I used boards and/or snap weights. Clips can be really hard on mono, especially if the line gets pulled through in a snag.

Another good thing to remember is that if you are long-lining in say 10′ or less don’t be afraid to “upsize” your mono. That way you can get your lures further back for less spooking. As an example I troll a lot with 15-20# mono in the fall up on the Red and Winnipeg River because much of the fishing is 10′ but I want to use #9 Shad Raps. Upsizing my mono allows me to get my lure back say another 30′ further than I could of on 10# test.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Brian, in the Summer pulling boards I use 10 lb Fireline and 20/6 Spider Stealth. I keep my drags “REEL” loose…. get it??? I would probably just use 10 lb Fireline, but a few of my reels double for Fall Trolling as well, where without a question I beleive the best line to use is 20/6 Spider Stealth IMPO. No losing cranks to rocks with that stuff. Again, I beleive the key to not losing fish is a Loose Drag. Also like Ted mentioned a steady (no rod pumping) retrieve is critical for keeping fish on..

You Stupid Mono Guy.

See ya Friday!

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Brian, there isn’t a true response to your question wihtout a generice response, it all depends on the application you are trying to present. Mono, Fireline and Lead all work incredibly well, yet how well is depndent on the specific way you choose to pull your bait. Yes the Bible is based on 10# and for the most part is very accurate, Mark has put alot of work into the accuracy of it. The only thing I can recommend is that you use a soft tip and never pump the fish on the retreive. Play around with all of the different types of line, find your comfort zone with each and refine each style to the pattern you are trying to duplicate. I long line my mono XT on the river with nice results, its not always the way of choice but I doubt I will ever switch completely away from it.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

I really appreciate the great resposes guys. I definitely agree different situations call for different line. Like I said, I definitely use braid for slow fall trolling or anything associated with weeds simply to be able to “read” the bait. I also don’t mind it for long lining. The shallow flats I troll in Pool 3 & 4 with less than say 100′ out, I again like mono for the hookups and lost fish and minimal weeds. I guess my question was geared for the open water trolling with boards, but hey this is creating some nice discussion. I think I’ll keep a couple line counters with mono on and a couple with fireline (with mono backing of course so I can strip the fireline after I lose two fish ). Oh, by the way is the Trolling guide based on XT or XL, I guess I never noticed. I just always use XT for open water trolling because of clip abrasion, big walleye teeth , etc.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Bri, As you know, I have fallen in love with the 10# Suffix Supreme. I clip repeatedly in the same area with boards…and have not worn the outer sheath at all. Not the same with other Super Lines. I also have all my rods chosen to run Super Lines. As you know, I run 7-6 Medium Moderate St. Croix Tidemasters, and 9-6 and 10-6 St. Croix Wild Rivers. As Ted mentioned, just lean back, and reel. The long bend in the rod keeps fish from shaking hooks for the most part, and the backbone sets hooks.

Mono will take a different rod. With all the multiple presentations I use, my line and rods are matched perfectly for my type of presentation(s). Go with what you like…

Unless it’s Mono!

How many fish did you lose?

standaniel
    Bloomington

I have used Spiderwire Stealth for the last 3 years. I like 20 pound test/ 6 pound diameter. Really good stuff for trolling. Saves a lot of cranks because it pulls them off the logs. And, you don’t have to “set the hook,” because it doesn’t stretch.
    Swede

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.