Cranks/Spiners

• score92
    WBL, MN

Can anyone give some help on best presentations for trolling spinners or crankbaits? Speed, three ways? I have never trolled cranks in water deeper than 15ft. Do the spinner rigs always have shorter snells? What size weights? thanks in advance.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

For spinners I either use a bottom bouncer or 3 way rig with 1.5 to 2.0 ounces of weight to get down to 35 feet if need be. Some guys prefer 3 way rigs over bottom bouncer but I have not noticed a difference in the amount of fish caught using either of these. I use leader lengths from anywhere from 3 feet to 11 feet if necessary. Most times for me it seems like 4 to 6 feet works fine. I typically go from about .8 mph to 1.5 mph or so. I typically use silvers when it is sunny and when it is cloudy I use either gold, copper, or a bright green or chartruese.

For cranks I typically either troll them on leadcore if I want to get a small lure down deep or I troll a large bait such as a reef runner or deep tail dancer which I typically run on planer boards or I flat line them.

Hopefully this answers a few of your questions.

jhalfen

Last weekend we were pulling spinners on 2 oz bottom bouncers. Worked great from 22-32 feet. Snells were 6 feet. Ran speeds from 0.6 to 1.5 mph. Bigger blade = faster speed to keep ’em turning.

score92
    WBL, MN

how do you get the snells that long, I am assuming you tie your own. All the spinner rigs I have seen have been about 3 ft snells. Is there a place that sells longer ones? Also, If I was gonna troll cranks as a three way, how much line would you let out? I’m guessing with a 1 1/2 – 2 oz weight it will get tho the bottom and stay there, even if the speed is kicked up a little bit.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Give JB Lures a call http://www.jblures.com/index.html

Me and my partner usually order 40 or 50 at a time and they make 9’ers for us in any combo we want. The vented colorado blades or the vibra-flash blades have been awsome this year.

I’m pretty sure you can buy 6’ers at Price bait also.

In depths deeper than 25′ pulling bb’s and blades we stick with 3oz bottom bouncers. I like to keep the angle at a 45 or less, just seems to give better feel.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

The vented colorado blades

SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The #3 Indiana Vented’s Don’t work at all either.

Adam, I have been pulling a spinner from those guys for over a year and it always seems to outproduce anything else I try. My brother Richs would nOT even try another one prefishing at the Wacker. Great spinners.

As for short spinners….I have just tied additional line onto short lead spinners and they still seemed to work for me. Sometimes I will make that juncture with a real small swivel.

score92
    WBL, MN

thanks for all the info guys, very helpful.

RyanD

What speed are running the tail dancers? I might give that a try this weekend. Had good luck pulling spinner w/ 7 ft leader last weeked at .9 to 1.2 mph on flats.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Lundeens on the corner of 169 and 27 sells 10 ft spinners and snells.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Lip, I’m down to only a few “home tied” spinners, all others are JB, quality parts that really produce.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.