Memorial weekend walleyes

• roscoe
    So St Paul

I was able to experience something on Mille Lacs this weekend that i had never seen in about 15 years of fishing the lake, but first, Friday nite I was fortunate enough to get my bro Dean out on the water for the first time this year. As some of you know Dean is battling cancer which has been messing with his equilibrium something fierce so we are always praying for calm waters so he can get out there.I am sorry to say that i had the bad manners to outfish him (this has only happened about 3 times in 15 years) catching 3 fish , a puny 13 incher ,a 16 and a beautiful 27 inch fish. Which leads me to saturday night, after watching the sse wind pounding the shore for most of the day and watching a launch bouncing around in the bay like something out of The Deadliest catch, i decided that i wouldnt be going out that evening.After sitting around for a couple of hours i decided to at least go down to the harbor mouth and cast a smithwick , hoping to at least catch a perch or something, after about 10 casts something hit my lure with enough ferocity as to almost pull me off the rock i was standing on, and lo and behold what do i pull in but a sweet 26 3/4 walleye, from shore!!! Five casts later i hooked into another one, this one going 24″ About ten more casts in comes a strong 22″ By this time my two brother in laws took notice and joined me on the point and started casting with me. By the time ten oclock rolled around the three of us had landed ten fish including a rare triple, the smallest going 21″ the largest was my first fish at 26 .This all in about 2-3 foot of water, with a couple of the fish coming from about 2 foot from shore.This scenario repeated itself on sunday nite with my brother in law Al catching 2 or three more. I am thinking that the south wind must have driven in the bait fish and the walleyes followed, believe me ,anytime we have a south wind i will be down there on the shoreline casting for Walleyes. I do have a few pictures to prove this I just need to figure out how to post them here See you on the water

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I believe you! Steve Fellegy wrote a post about the same thing about 2 weeks ago. There is no such thing as too shallow when the conditions are right.

dd

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.