Night Fishing

• Anonymous

Looking for some advice and hot spots for an evening bite. My brother is in town from California and I have promised him some action on Mille Lacs. Heading up Sat Afternoon and hope to be on the lake by 3 pm. I usually put in near Garrison and am wondering if pulling up on some rocks and still fishing is our best option. Recomendations and thoughts on presentations and additional tactics?

Anonymous

Yes, I think that is a great option. Slip bobber fishing with a lighted bobber and leech will put fish in the boat.

But, if you put in and start fishing at 3, that’s six plus hours till it get’s dark! I’d get up there and do a little relaxing first. Hit those rock piles around 7:30 or 8 and fish till midnight at least.

J.

Anonymous

I was up on the north end sand on Saturday evening/Sunday morning. The lindy rig leech bite was white hot at dusk but turned off quite abruptly when it got dark. I was too lazy to motor over to a rock reef to slip bobber so I thought I’d take one pass pulling a deep diving crank. Wham! We ended up staying ’til 2:00 AM with all the fun of pulling in walleyes off long lined cranks.

I had good luck pulling the suspending shallow Yozuri’s last fall so I bought some of the new deep divers to try. They were great! I was using an upper/mid sized crank (can’t remember the length but it is one size smaller than the largest deep diving Yozuri). With 8 lb fireline, it gets easily down to 25′ (maybe even deeper). Basically, it dives as deep as a reef runner but is a bit smaller. Perfect for this time of year.

We probably would have done as well on a reef with bobbers but it was fun to get some action that way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.