barometer

• shadrapla
    cambridge mn

i was wonder about barometer. if it going high pressure and fish wont go into activce and if going down fish will go activce ??? am i right or wrong

Anonymous

There’s actually a zone between both extremes that seem to “trigger” fish. Bottom line is that all pressure levels effect them. The quicker the change, the more it slows them down because they have to readjust, and it’s a slow process. You’ll notice when there’s a major weather change that the fishing slows for a few days. Quick little storms that come through once a week almost effect nothing………….in my experience. They feed heavy just before the pressure change (small, short-lived window) and shut down during the rain/storm. If it’s an evening storm that lasts an hour……………you’ll have fish active by morning. Midnight/early morning…………..fish by mid/late afternoon. This is because the pressure changes back to their present equilibrium faster than what the fish can fully adjust to the old pressure change.

Keep in mind, this usually SLOWS them. There’s always a bite somewhere but you might have to work a lot harder to find it.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous

Without a doubt, the very best fishing is had in the 1-3 hour window as a major storm is moving in and the barometer is falling fast.

The next best situation is when the barometer has been steady for 3 or more days and the wind comming out of the same general direction. “Stable weather pattern” sets up and very consistent fishing is had.

J.

Anonymous

That happens about twice a year and try to tie it to a nite trip full moon period and maybe then once year. Till then keep pluggin at the ones that are on and off the bite.

Anonymous

Here is my thought on barometric pressure…Take an air bladder from a walleye. It has gasses in it to allow them to balance pressures induced on them (From above and…)under the water. If there is high pressure coming in, pressure is put onto the bladder making the fish feel “Full” or some other type of pressure feeling that makes them “Uncomfortable”. At any rate, it renders them inactive as far as feeding goes. It has happened to me too many times to just dismiss this as chance. When the pressure is reduced, a “Hunger” type of feeling is induced because of the lack of pressure on the bladder and organs. The bladder compensates for this by increasing the gas in the bladder, and they equalize. The the barometer may stay steady for a while, inducing a pattern of stability. The next time high pressure moves in again, the cycle repeats. That is why I reduce the size of my offering in high pressure. Lighter line, longer leaders, smaller leaches/crawlers/minnows, etc.

Does this have any merit???

Tuck

Anonymous

I think your thoughts are rather in line with what’s been said. I’ve found bites in all weather conditions but really high and really low pressures are always the toughest. The fish can adapt to any barometric pressure, but it is a slow go and why it takes steady weather patterns to stick around a while to get the bite back. I think the “triggering” you describe directly relates to the swift low that passes through. They feel the pressure changing and it triggers a feeding frenzy. Nature’s way of saying, “Eat now or you may go hungry a couple days”. The size, strength, and endurance of any weather pattern can really help determine what you need to do to find your bite.

Funny you should mention “smaller’s better” in high pressure situations…………….those are the days I love throwing those little Rooster Tails for bass…………..sure do work!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.