Mille Lacs – 10/28

• Anonymous

Fished Mille Lacs from 3:00-6:30pm today. One fish caught, about a 3 pound northern and one fish lost. Pulled cranks mostly but also tried slip bobbers for a short time. Fished in the Big Point, Hunter’s Point and Liberty Beach areas. We thought our lack of success had to do with the lack of wind but based on the previous post maybe not… Probably done with Mille Lacs now until there is ice. Good luck to those who keep at it!

BobO
    Plymouth. MN

I fished solo Sat 10/27 from about 3:30pm to 10:00pm south of Garrison. Caught 3 walleyes all about 23″, 3 northerns 23″ to 29″, and lost a few. Trolled rapallas in 9′ – 11′. Might have caught more if I didn’t continue to experiment so much with lures, depth and location after I found a pattern that worked. Water temp was 45 degrees.

Anonymous

fished 10/28 as well. Ended up with 10 including a 27″ and a 29″. Found a few running cranks (deep diving reef runners) on the edges of the flats during the day, including the 27″. We also marked alot and boated one in the same depth (25-30′) off of shoreline points. After dark we moved shallow (7-9′) and ran #14 husky jerks and Yozuri crystal minnows (the big ones..5″ I think). The Yozuri’s looks awesome under the moonlight. The combo of the wobble/holograph/moonlight makes it really flashy. The 29″ fell for the black and gold right before i snagged and lost it (bye bye $8.50). BTW she probably only weighed 7 or 8 pounds…really skinny! Her gill plates were all messed up so I assume she spent some time in a gill net recently but managed to escape. Had to leave around 8:30 as the bite and wind were picking up…man these jobs sure get in the way of fishin. Can’t wait to get back later this week!

Anonymous

I second the motion on the job getting in the way of fishing time,and I am more fortunate on time off then most.I always felt I could fish 13 out of 14 days and never get tired of it.I had the pleasure of spending 19 of 30 days on Mille Lacs from mid May to mid June and still didn`t get enough.Brett

BobO
    Plymouth. MN

Jason,

How deep were your reef runners going? Did you use weights to get them down? I just bought a crystal minnow the day before I saw your post, hoping to try it this weekend. It looks like a good choice to keep really shallow with a long line and slow troll.

Anonymous

If you are using fireline, deep reef runners can go down to about 30′ without weights. I was running 26′ down. The rainbow trout pattern seemed to be the most productive. If you need to pick some up the Holiday by Lundeens has a bunch. Not sure if they have the rainbow pattern or not. Good luck with the crystal minnow! I sure think they look good, and the eyes seemed to like it too. (the shortwhile I was able to run it before losing it.) I will be there thru the night Friday…and maybe Saturday night too. If you are going to be there during the day, 7 mile flat seemed to hold the most fish out of the couple we checked out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.