Back from quick trip

• gpalma

Fished Tues & Wed on Mille Lacs from the west side. Travel was excellent on a 4-wheeler and I could go most anywhere I wanted. Access for cars might be an issue on the west side and a truck is in order.

I concentrated my time on inside bends on the flats with longer arms leading to the bends in particular. These areas get less pressured by anglers (they like points) and it was hoped that I could run into some true jumbos this way. 30-33 feet seemed to be best although I did try shallower with no success. On Tues AM I ended up with 15. 4 Measured from 12-13.5″ and 11 measured 10-11.75″. On Tues AM I picked up 12 with all measuring 10-12.5″.

A lightweight rod rigged with 2# Tectan line and smallish gold/white/black Ivan jigs or lighter perch colored spoons tipped with minnow head or Waxie seemed to work best for me. The fish were not very aggressive due to the cold front and the bite was extremely light. I would balance the rod on one finger watching for the slightest dip in the tip indicating a strike. You really had to concentrate intently and there would be times where the fish were simply hanging on as you began to jig again. That was precisely how I got the largest fish…I just got luckier than she was when I set the hook.

Ice thickness was very deep (estimate 30″ or more). I darned near needed an extension on my Lazer Mag.

Now, it is off for Devils Lake at oh-dark-thirty for 5 days. Good luck fishing!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.