Rattle Reel Rigs

• jmaj101
    Hastings,MN

I thought I would talk some actual fishing on this Mille Lacs forum. Anybody have a favorite “go-to” rattle reel rig? Pretty sure every time I go to the pond I have a beer in one hand and listen for a jingle… My personal favorite is a glow green Gem-N-Eye with 6 pound fluorocarbon. Leader is about 5 to 6 foot.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Might sound boring but I use a plain red hook 95% of the time.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Whew, finally some fishing talk. For the most part we have plain red hooks. The hooks are anywhere from size 6 to 2 depending on the minnow size. Last year I ran a quick strike rig and a medium sucker on one line and it held its own catching the same amount as the other set ups. Gem n eyes catch fish too. I really like a glow red or green with a shiner minnow.

Now you have me regretting not putting my house out this winter.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I really do like hearing those bells go off! Why didn’t you put it out, out of curiousity.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

I really do like hearing those bells go off! Why didn’t you put it out, out of curiousity.

The main reason is we have a little one at home, so I knew I wouldn’t make it up there as much (can’t wait until I can take her up there though). Add to that the late start, lack of fish, and some other trips I already had planned and I’d be lucky to get there more than a couple times.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

colored circle hook works good for me….and a wiggeling minnow!!!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I like to switch mine up between day and night… Plain red hook during the day and chartreuse at night on one rattle reel and a Gem-n-eye during the day and glow demon jig at night on a 2nd rattle reel.

jmaj101
    Hastings,MN

Just curious and you don’t have to share your secrets but a glow chart. hook at night?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Just curious and you don’t have to share your secrets but a glow chart. hook at night?

Typically just a plain Chartreuse hook at night for me… I have always read that chartreuse is the most visible color to a walleye and I’m just hoping to get their attention to swim over and take a look. Red is the least visible which is why I prefer it during daytime the day

If we’ve got a fishhouse full of people and I can run more than just one or two rattle reels a trick that I use during daylight to give each setup a little different look is to add 1-2 chartreuse beads above a red hook similar to fishing a lindy rig in the summer. This works especially well on a fathead setup targeting perch.

Tim Mc
    Mpls, MN

A number 6 red hook twisted in pliers so 30% of the gold shows.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.