Myr Mar Boat Explosion?

• stuart
    Mn.

Can anyone in the area link me to some info on this?Happened this past Monday.
    Captain Richard Carels boat blew up with 4 or 5 people sent to HCMC burn unit with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.I can not find any info in the Messanger or Brainerd paper.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Used to work with Rick and the kids grandfather.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Never heard of nor saw anything of the like this past Monday. I live 200 yards from the marina…and was home most of Monday. Now I am curious too?

carmike

Wow…I haven’t heard anything, but the last time I saw him was last weekend. I know he was having a whole bunch of problems with the boat, but….yikes. I will call around to see any of my buddies know anything.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I was on the water Monday and saw a fire burning on the north end of the lake. I told the other guys with me that I thought it was not a planned burn due to the dark black smoke. I hope no one was seriously injured.

stuart
    Mn.

Brad they’er were very serious burns to at least 3 kids and thier Mother.Sounds like 2 might be released from the hospital Thursday.Talking skin grafts for the other two.
    I would like to read the responders report on this.I know it takes awhile for it to become public so if anyone sees it please point me to it.Thanks, Stuart

carmike

I called a few friends and the reports are true, there was an explosion and subsequent fire on the boat while it was in the harbor. I didn’t hear the age of the victims, but apparently it started when he tried to start the boat.

Jerry on fire

All,
    This is Jerry, it was my family on the boat. I will keep this short but wanted to update this. There was an explosion and then fire when the engine fired up. My wife has been released with 2nd degree burns on both her arms and legs (from ankles to knees and wrists to elbows). My 13 year old son has also been released from HCMC burn ward with 2nd degree burns on both legs (from ankles to knees and 1 arm from wrist to elbow). My 10 year old daughter has 2nd degree burns on her right leg and I have 2nd degree burns to my ankle, wrist and fingers. We are extremely lucky that it wasn’t worse than it is as my parents were also on board at the time. For whatever reason an ambulance,the fire department or sheriff were not called? I drove my family to the hospital in Aitkin (I will not get into why the ambulance or sheriff or fire department hadn’t been called at this point). The Aitkin hospital staff was amazing and I cant tell them enough how much we appreciate it!!! From there my wife and son were transported to the HCMC burn ward. After things settled down I called the Aitkin County Sheriffs department to file a report. We are at home and starting the healing process which is going to take some time. For obvious reasons I will not go any further into the details but again wanted to clear things up. Thanks

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Glad to hear everybody will be OK with time. You and your family will be in our thoughts & prayers.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sure am glad to here it is not any worse than it was. Can not imagine the nightmare it must of been to see your family go though that. I hope for a quick recovery for all of you.

Jerry on fire

We would like to thank you and Brian for the thoughts and prayers! Our friends, family and good people like you have been great.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Just glad everybody is going to be OK. You will get a bunch of well wishes tomorrow, pretty slow in here on the weekends.

carmike

Thanks for clearing things up, Jerry. Thank God you all are OK.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Sorry to hear about the terrible accident. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Bruce

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Scary stuff. Sorry to hear about the injuries but thank god it was no worse than it was. Take Care

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thank you Jerry for providing us an update on your family. I can’t imagine going from a hopeful day of fun fishing and then ending up in the hospital with 2nd degree burns. I wish you and your family the very best during the healing process. Hopefully someday, all will have the courage and strength to go out together again and catch some fish.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Prayers for speedy and full recoveries for all of your family.

stuart
    Mn.

Thanks for the update Jerry,rumors at work are not the place to get my info.Could not find a thing about it in any paper.
    Hoping for a very speedy recovery for everyone!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Jerry,
    Very sorry that you and your family went through this ordeal. Sure could have been much worse, but still difficult to go through and heal from.
    Prayers sent.
    Jack

Jerry on fire

Hi all, just wanted to update everybody on the accident. It has been several months since the accident but thought that I would include a picture of my wife’s leg taken the day after the accident, I will leave the pictures of the kids out. It’s definitely worse than just “burnt hair” as stated by a callous person who was indirectly involved with the fire but was there. The good news is that everybody is healing well but with some scarring. I just heard through the grapevine that “Captain Rick” lost his charter license buts that’s just hearsay at this point. If that’s what it takes to keep somebody else safe than great. I just wish my parents would realize that you cant fix somebody who is their own worst enemy and move on.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I can’t imagine burns like that. Sounds like an extremely bad ordeal. You and your family are in my prayers.
    Thanks for the update.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thank you for the update and I’m glad to hear that everyone is healing well. If you ever have the desire and courage to want to take your family fishing again on Mille Lacs – I will be happy to accommodate and there will be no charge for the trip. Every family deserves a great memory of Mille Lacs.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

Thank you for the update and I’m glad to hear that everyone is healing well. If you ever have the desire and courage to want to take your family fishing again on Mille Lacs – I will be happy to accommodate and there will be no charge for the trip. Every family deserves a great memory of Mille Lacs.

Very kind of you Brad. Keep up the good work.

Jerry, Thank you for the update. I cannot imagine suffering burns like the ones in that picture. Good luck to you and your family on your continued recovery.

Jerry on fire

I really appreciate the offer, 1 thing that this experience has taught us is that there are good people like you in the world!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.