Mille Lacs Report

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I spent Wednesday-Friday up on Mille Lacs fishing the Walleye Extravaganza with Shawn Flemming. The tournament was well run again and the fishing was good. The fish are definitely in transition and the water temp dropped 5 degrees in a couple days, so the fishing was slower but still good. Shawn had a good bite going with spinners on the mud, so I spent Wednesday rigging and pulling spinners on the mud as well as jigging some shoreline structures. Spinners worked the best for me on Wednesday. With the cooler water and crappy weather on Thursday, slowing down and rigging was more productive. Friday afternoon the water temps finally started climbing and we were doing better on spinners again. The best colors for spinners were Jolly Roger Tackle Nuclear Perch, Sunrise Craw, and Firebelly. The jig/shiner bite was productive as well, but was much slower than the last few weekends. I landed my personal best Smallmouth and Northern Pike as well this last week using a jig/shiner. The Northern was on the first morning of the tournament and I was disappointed that it wasn’t a 30” Walleye, but it was still a fun fight on a medium light rod. The best jig color this season has been anything that has some chartreuse as part of the color pattern. This warmer weather should really get the mud flat fish going. More fish will move out there and they will be more active. We ended up 7th/17 boats in the 2nd annual Walleye Extravaganza.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Nice Fish

The water temps drop 5 degrees and your attire does not seem period appropriate, it’s something you would expect to hear in a late fall report.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the report Dan and congrats to you and Shawn on your respectable finish!

How many inches long was that pike?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the report Dan and congrats to you and Shawn on your respectable finish!

How many inches long was that pike?

I didn’t want to slime up Shawn’s boat too bad, so we skipped the measurement. Upper 30s, maybe 40 inches? Its my biggest Northern Pike on light tackle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.