Mille Lacs Report – 5/19/2013

• jollyroger
    MN

Got back up to the Big Pond this week. Arrived Thursday morning to pre-fish for the MTT Tournament and found a lot of ice on the Eastern side of the lake. Not able to fish the spots I wanted to target, I opted for the northern part of the lake that was ice free. The bite was slow for me on Thursday, but still managed a few fish rigging on the sand humps/transition areas near the old Carlsona Beach club.

The MTT had to make the call and cancel the tournament on Thursday as there was still ice, so Friday turned out to be just a day of fun fishing. Friday was a different story. The ice was gone for the most part so we headed to the east side that was un-accessible on Thursday. We worked the reefs with a combination of pitching jigs/slip bobbers and that was the ticket as we boated a good 3 dozen fish. Nate Gilkey (AKA Grainbelt Eyes) was out as well and his boat had similar success.

Saturday was extremely foggy in the morning which delayed the departure, but the same program worked again, but was a little slower with the lack of wind. Great to be back getting the hands cut up by walleyes again!

Best of Fishing,

Shawn Flemming

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Nice work Shawn

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Its always fun watching the bobbers go down especially when there is a Walleye on the other end.

grainbelteyes
    Waconia

Here’s a few more from Thursday and Friday’s action. Most, if not all we caught were males. Water temps varied from 39 on the east side to low 50’s on NW corner. Lot’s of slot fish coming in right at 19.5″. Very few under 17″. Other than looking tired from the spawning regiment, the fish look healthy.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Quote:

Lot’s of slot fish coming in right at 19.5″.

Good to hear.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Great report Shawn!

I had heard poor reports from a few co-workers who were up over the weekend so it’s great to hear from someone who had them dialed in.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Saturday was extremely foggy in the morning

That fog Saturday was super spooky. Had 2 close calls from boats coming in too close. Had to call it a day early and go in to change my underwear…

Fished sun and a few hours on monday. Kinda slow on the south east corner for me. About 1 fish an hour with a couple keepers mixed in too. Never seen the water so clear. Easily see bottom in 10 + feet.

Feeling like shleprock. Gave the rainsuit a good workout!

-J.

carmike

Yeah, that fog was nuts. What was more nuts, if you ask me, were the guys out there driving nearly full-throttle with near zero visibility. Worst part was you could hear them coming, knew they’d be close, but couldn’t see them.

jollyroger
    MN

Quote:

Yeah, that fog was nuts. What was more nuts, if you ask me, were the guys out there driving nearly full-throttle with near zero visibility. Worst part was you could hear them coming, knew they’d be close, but couldn’t see them.

Yes…too foggy for my liking…no fish is worth getting run over. I didn’t go out until 3pm (went up to Farm Island for a few hours which was slow). If a guy was to go out in that stuff, trolling speeds definitely had to be in order.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

$*^# morons.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice job guys! Thanks for the reports.

I was out turkey hunting in that fog. It was pretty exciting hearing the close gobbles but not being able to see the gobbler. He finally showed up in the fog and my son put him down.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.