New Show on Mille Lacs

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Secrets are hard to keep around Mille Lacs Lake, but some last longer than others.

In April, a film crew did a sizzle reel to present to the networks as a concept for a reality TV show about ice fishing on Mille Lacs Lake. Last May, producers quietly informed the Isle Chamber ofCommerce of their intent.

But until Dec. 14, the show was only a whispered rumor. Any doubts were put to rest when a camera man was spotted shooting b-roll on Main Street in Isle. The camera man, who did not wish to be identified, shot film of storefronts and the old water tower before moving out onto the ice of Isle Bay. “I really don’t know much,” the man said. “I was just hired to come do some advance shooting.”

Once the cat was out of the bag, word spread quickly. “It’s true,” said Margie Christensen of Hunter Winfield’s Resort in Isle.

“A network has already picked it up.”

Hunter Winfields is one of three resorts that will be predominantly featured in the show. Fisherman’s Wharf is also under contract, as well as Dickie Gadbois of Liberty Beach. Jim Staricha will also be featured on the show.

“Jim does rescues and pulls vehicles out when they go through the ice,” Gadbois said. “They wanted him.”

Gadbois is excited at the prospect of putting Mille Lacs Lake on national television. “These guys are the same guys who shot ‘Ice Road Truckers’ and ‘Deadliest Catch,’ so they’re a pretty big deal,” Gadbois said. “They’ve already shot a pilot, and we’ve had several meetings with them. This is going to be real good for the area.”

The show is scheduled to go on the air in October of 2013. Unless something changes, the name of the show will be “Ice Holes.”

“They wanted to call it “Ice Wars” at first, but I didn’t want any part of that,” Gadbois said. “I get along just fine with my neighbors.”

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have suspected for ever that those shows were total made up BS. It will be interesting to confirm how much false drama and BS the producers interject into what we consider to be mundane normal play time.

joemama
    North St Paul

i agree… most the issues are real but are set up to look like a crisis..just listen to the music !!still would be worth watching a few shows

big_g
    Isle, MN

Well, if you do frequent the lake reosrts with plowed roads, then you know it takes a special breed to be a “lake guy”…. they will provide plenty of drama… camera rolling or not (I love how they do 50 mph in a 1 ton truck, to catch the guy in the little car to holler at him to “slow down” or the ice may crack)

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

They should go over to Terrys and get him and Grizz on film.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

This info is from the weekly ice report email from Fishermens Wharf. Sounds like a few guys I know whould fit the bill pretty well!

FWR REALITY SHOW IS BEING PRODUCED! January 22, 2013

REALITY SHOW SEEKS BIG, OUTGOING PERSONALITIES

AND ICE FISHING ENTHUSIASTS!

A new reality pilot begins filming this weekend in and around Fishermen’s Wharf, celebrating the culture of ice fishing.

One event you won’t want to miss is the Ice Fishing Competition at Fishermen’s Wharf Resort this Saturday, January 26th. The tournament runs from Noon until 2pm, registration beginning at 10am. Cameras will be rolling all day to catch the action! Prizes for the tournament include $500 first prize for biggest fish, a stack of door prizes and you can even win a shot at $10,000 just by shooting a basketball into a hoop!

Click here to visit the Fishermen’s Wharf website for more information.

If you or someone you know is a big, outgoing character with lots of personality, the producers would love to hear from you.

Please email name and contact details to [email protected]

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

I have a hard time believing this will make the air UNLESS they find some crazy guys that do insane things, or get lots of footage of cars going through the ice.
    Who would watch ice road truckers if they didnt crash or fight?
    If this makes the air, I have the feeling the people involved arent going to like how they are portrayed..

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

This show has been talked about quite a bit up by Mille Lacs. The consensus at least with my group of friends is that since they aren’t starting to film until this Friday they’ve already missed the most interesting part of the season when fishing is best and the pressure is on resorts as they try to get shacks out on the ice early. The crack out in front of the Wharf continues to be a problem though so I’m sure that will make for some drama.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I heard they were following Staricha around, when he pulled peoples rigs from the water, but if they are only starting now, they missed some of his best jobs already nothing better than early ice

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Was anyone up at the Wharf tournament over the weekend? Anything interesting go down?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Story from the Strib:

http://www.startribune.com/local/188767711.html

Sure we fish on ice, but is that a reality show?
    Article by: JON TEVLIN , Star Tribune Updated: January 29, 2013 – 2:42 PM

LAKE MILLE LACS – A sign above the bar at the Fisherman’s Wharf, just north of Isle, Minn., borrows the Las Vegas adage that what happens at the Wharf stays at the Wharf.

All that changed last week.

Now there is also a sign on the door that warns customers that a reality film crew is in the area and that everybody’s image, words and behavior might be recorded and used to entertain a national television audience “into perpetuity.”

That means you, bearded man covered from head to toe in dead raccoons. That means you, large inebriated man chasing your windblown sunglasses across the ice. And that means you, Jell-O shot woman who just did an incredible pratfall on the ice, then splayed out like a tipped scarecrow.

Minnesota showed up dressed for a cameo on Saturday when the resort hosted its annual ice fishing contest. Despite brittle temperatures and a stinging wind, about 300 people — at least I assume there were people inside those bundles — drove their SUVs a mile or so out onto the lake and fished for the lunker that would give them a shot at an array of prizes, but more important, a chance to make it an appearance on a reality television show.

If you’ve dabbled in cable television at all, you know where this is going. Shows like “Deadliest Catch,” “Ax Men” and “Storage Wars” allow viewers into blue-collar jobs and subcultures they can only wonder about.

For the next week, a 13-member crew from Jupiter Entertainment, which produced the Discovery Channel’s “Sons of Guns,” will be gathering film and looking for “characters,” near the town of Isle. They are working on a pilot for truTV (“Swamp Hunters” and “Lizard Lick Towing”).

After initially thinking they would make a show about competition and conflicts between resorts in the area for a show called “Ice Wars,” the crew has shifted gears, according to Joe Murphy, associate producer, who also shot down rumors the show would be called “Ice Holes.”

“We found out the resorts work well together and support each other,” Murphy said. “It seemed unfair to set up competition where none exists.”

But the reality of reality television is that there needs to be drama and conflict.

He said the pilot is focusing on Fisherman’s Wharf and owners Daron and Lori Stenvold and their staff.

“They have many staff members and they all have different roles,” said Murphy. “And then you have the customers who want to be told where the fish are, and you have Daron trying to keep the resort going and keep paying his employees in a very compressed period of time. There are natually going to be conflicts.”

A few comments in an outdoor publication’s story on the potential show revealed some anxiety that it will make everybody look like “ignorant rednecks” and “two-toothed fishermen who talk like they were in ‘Fargo.'”

Murphy said that he expected locals to be wary of producers from Los Angeles and New York but that the area has been welcoming and people eager to let him film their lives. Their focus is on the rigors of running a business that many see as exotic. (He did not even mention the “hookers on ice” stories, dismissed by some as legend, that prostitutes sometimes set up shop out on the lake.)

Then there’s the backdrop that causes awe in Murphy: “There are all these communities going on, and it’s on ice. People here take this for granted, but to others it seems ridiculous and dangerous and fascinating.”

Dean Block is one ice fisherman who thinks the show can work. “When you see ‘Ice Road Truckers’ and ‘Amish Mafia,’ then yeah, there’s a good story here,” said Block. “With this tournament and the Eelpout Festival alone, there’s a story.”

His buddy, Joe Czeck, tried to coax the crew to visit their ice house later. “We’ll close down the bar and party till sunrise,” he promised.

“We’ve got good footage,” Murphy said. “We just need to find the story to make people come back to the show after the break.”

As cameras rolled during the tournament, a few participants seemed determined to come off as the kind of “characters” the show was seeking.

“Hey, you should interview Up North Nancy,” yelled one man.

Just then, however, three young women stripped off their snowmobile suits, revealing bikinis. They ran toward a group of men, then drank shots of liquor from glasses glued to a snow ski as the cameras rolled.

Up North Nancy had no chance.

[email protected] • 612-673-1702

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Too bad this crew won’t be around in the spring to document the mistreatment of this great resource.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sounds like they are having a hard time finding a villain. I would have been happy to go up and antagonize some people by drilling holes next to them while they fished, making a JA of myself or going out there with some tribal gear and a feathered headdress.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.