New Fishing Report added…

• PowerFred

You’ve all named so many great bands, I don’t have much to add to the list. Zeppelin, Rush, Boston, GNR, Journey, AC/DC all make my list. If any of those come on the radio while I’m in the truck, you’ll hear it in the next lane for sure! Crank it up!

No one has said Eric Clapton yet. One of my all time favorites.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

You forgot about…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Freddy Mercury?^^^^

chomps
    Sioux City IA

there’s many that died way too early, Freddy being one of them. I would loved to have seen Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix have a few more years to create some more LP’s.
    ACDC & Van Halen

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Quote:

Twin cities bands of the 60’s. the underbeats! chancellors! avanties, del counts, castaways, trashman! a great era, teenage dance clubs, danceland, marion ball room, the purple barn, bel rae ballroom, bimbos, marigold, and the best Mr. Luckys! anyone else remember these? or am I that old!

Lots of great local bands back in that day. If you are interested in hearing any of them again there’s a few CD and vinyl reissue compilations with a ton of those local bands on ’em. Do a search for Soma records compilation or the reissue of Big Hits of Mid-America.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

For myself, 90’s rock was what I grew up with. Bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the list goes on and on.

My favorite of course, 311.

The rock now-a-days, well, just plain stinks.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Ten Years After

Elvis

The Monkeys

The Beatles (sorry Jon)

George Thor… Thuro…Thurough…? Good

Fleetwood mac

Marshall Tucker

Puff the magic dragon…it’s all coming back to me now

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Just looked thru my Iphone…
    Bon Scott era AC/DC, Mick Taylor era Stones, GNR, Van Halen, TRex, Cheap Trick at Budokan, Thin Lizzy Jailbreak (awesome song).
    For new stuff… Black Keys & White Stripes

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

How could I forget…
    BOC’s “Cities on Flame with Rock-n-Roll”
    You also have to respect the double and triple guitar attacks: Iron Maiden, Scorpions, etc.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Just went through my phone here are a few,
    Van Halen, Poison, Guns N Roses, Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, Bad Company, Grand Funk Railroad, Heart, MeatLoaf, Nazareth, Steppenwolf, Whitesnake

FryDog62

I grew up in the Classic Rock Era – 70’s-80’s. Still listen to that music. I have three teenage kids now – the older two, one listens to hip-hop rap and the other country. My youngest, well at least I raided one right! He is a Classic Rock guy all the way. At 17 has become quite an accomplished electric guitarist. Now I come home and hear him in the basement playing. Nothing like walking in the door to the sounds of Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd…. almost brings a tear to my eye every time I’m so proud

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

How did Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band get left off the list until now?

big_g
    Isle, MN

For local Rock groups, I gotta give the nod to Slave Raider !!!

FryDog62

Speaking of local rock bands – anyone remember Chameleon, Metro All-Stars, or LaMont Cranston?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

shuzbut… i cn’t find it

I Want My MTV

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Not in any specific order…
    Metallica
    Motley Crue
    Judas Priest
    Megadeth
    Iron Maiden

Man there are just too many to post

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

What I always thought was interesting… At the time of the SF flower children/summer of love you had a band (Black Sabbath) writing a song about a man turned to steel in a great magnetic field when he traveled time for the future of mankind.
    Question: Why should we even care?
    Answer: Because he’s back and pissed as hell!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

What the hell……………no deadheads?

Gratefull Dead.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Anyone for the MC5?
    Come on “Kick out the Jams…”

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Greatful dead is one of my top 5, good party band. Seen Hendrix once, missed the Stones and Zepplin but seen just about Everyone else, how about Janis Joplin seen her 3 times, seen her in Kansas city and she tore the doors off the place with the show she put on, what a performer. How about Laura Niro, Melony Sofka, Jonie Mitchell and Buffalo Springfield, Buffalo Springfield is one of my top 5. Sly and the Family Stone? And you know what, everyone darned one of them were top performers and one hel- ofalot better then any band today. Anybody mention Jethro Tull, another top 5…

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I find it hard to put Greatful Dead and rock and roll in the same sentence.

PB2

Quote:

Speaking of local rock bands – anyone remember Chameleon, Metro All-Stars, or LaMont Cranston?

Yes we use to watch LaMont and many others
    down at the Cabooze.

Frank Marino and mahogany rush

chirp
    Rochester

Peter Frampton. Frampton Comes alive.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

Elvis

Oh how could I forget the King

Kerry Harvey
    Brownsdale, MN.

Warren Zevon, Foghat, Dave Mason, Van Morrison, ELO

Brian Lyons

The Band, Tom Waits, Harry Chapin, Neil Young and Warren Zevon…..to name a few

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I’m a product of the 70’s, just went thru my vinal and here are some I didn’t see:
    James gang
    Rush
    Slade
    Henry gross
    Rare Earth
    Head East
    Ozark Moutain Daredevils
    Air Supply
    Foghat
    Montrose
    Ufo
    Wishbone Ash
    Baby
    Mason Profit
    38 Special
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas
    Pure Prairie League
    Aerosmith
    Foreigner

Just to name a few

FryDog62

Seeing the old classic rock bands in concert now can be pretty disappointing. Members have changed, aged, or they just don’t have the talent/energy anymore. It’s pretty obvious they just need the money. The one big exception I have found was when my son and I went to the State Fair a year ago and saw Def Lepard. Seriously, I saw them in 1988 and they look and sound the same now. Was one of the best concerts I have ever been at. Even their lead guitarist (who I think is pushing 60) still played with his shirt off. I haven’t had pecs and washboard abs like that in 20 years (ok maybe never). I would see them again if they ever came back to town.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.