Walleye Extravaganza 2012

• dentedboatguy

I have fished the Wavewackers for about the last 9-10 years and have always had a great time, whether I did well or really bad and I have done really bad some years. I have been concerned if the tournament would even happen this year as only about 35 boats were in last years tournament so today I was looking for info about the 2012 Wavewackers. I didn’t find any wackers info but on the MN DNR site found info about a Walleye Extravaganza 2012 on Mille Lacs June 6 and 7. Does anybody have any gouge about this tournament, site, organizers, etc? Is the wackers going to occur, does this possible new tournament replace wackers as it is on the dates the wackers usually occurs?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The Extravaganza is being put on by Hunter’s Point resort. It is the same dates as the Wavewacker. You can find more info on the resort website.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I think this is going to take over the wacker. I talked to George about it the other day and it sounds like it will have better payouts and he told me it would have a blow day if needed. Might take a while but I hope it gets back up close to 200 boats again. I might play myself if it gets back to what it used to be.

Quote:

I think this is going to take over the wacker.

This was my take on it as well.

I think this event has the potential to rival the success of the Wave Wacker in its prime years. George runs some great events out of Hunter’s and has quite a strong following of tournament anglers that will be a nice base of numbers starting out.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I think the economy will keep the number of boats down for a while but with higher payouts (and less expenses going to run the tournament) and a blow day I could see this getting close to 100 and maybe more boats this year.A lot of people were upset with the Wacker for a number of reasons and change might do it some good.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Quote:

(and less expenses going to run the tournament)
    why do you think that hunters point can run a tournament with less expenses than the folks that put on the wavewacker???

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

For what little overhead the Wacker had there was a lot of money taken out for expenses if you added it up. I know they paid the Wharf way to much!!!! Hunters is happy making money on food,drinks and lodgeing. I think you will see this being more of a 90+ payout rather than a 75-80.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

thanks for the insight. george has alot of overhead also, i think even more than the herrick’s do. just because he owns the resort, and is not working a deal with the owner to hold it there, it still has a cost factor involved. nobody puts on a tournament of this size out of the goodness of their heart. they are in it to make a profit, and more power to them. that is what business is all about. we will never know the true answer, but i think the profit margin will be compareable between the two tournaments after all the overhead is taken into consideration.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Profit margin should not be confused with purse percentage payouts. Because George owns his own tents, a leaderboard and owns the resort itself, there are lots of “items” another tourney may have to rent… having all this will help his “profit margin” but should not matter, as the thing that counts is percentage payout and what you get with your entry.

justinathunters

I just wanted to clear up any questions about the Hunters Point Walleye Extravaganza. It is $1,000 a boat. It will be Thursday june 7th & Friday June 8th. We will have a 90%+ payout. . 100% of corporate sponsorship money will be donated to the Susan G Komen foundation for breast cancer, it is a cause very dear to our family. Lastly we will only be accepting 100 boats this year and we already have been getting registration forms in, So if you would like to get in check out our website hunterspointresort.com the registration is under the events page. Thank you and we look forward to a fantastic tournament.
    Justin Baldwin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.