DNR Rpt >walleye pop @ 2nd lowest level since ’82

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

It’s hard to know what to believe.

The tullibee fishing has been great the past 3 winters. Catching a bunch for the smoker has not been a problem. I’d say the fishing has been the best more recently since the population crashed 10 years ago.

Young of the year perch have been abundand the past several falls in the boat harbors and in the fish that I clean. Jumbos have also been abundant during the winter months.

Walleye for the box have also come easly this season and previous years.

Obviously these are just one fishermans observations. I’ll leave the determination to the experts, but the data does leave me scratching my head.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the DNR should hire a few indians and learn how to net better!

-J.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the DNR should hire a few indians and learn how to net better!

-J.

Ouch!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It would be interesting to know how this is done. I suspect the DNR set nets on the same spots, on the same calendar date year to year. A better approach might be to set nets on the same spots each year. But rather using a specific calendar date, do it when the water temps hit a certain mark each year. I think their results are skewed because the lake is staying warmer the last few years. Just a thought.

-J.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

I beleive they are down…

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I think the walleye population is down but better fishing techniques to catch them and lower baitfish populations provide less forage thus keeping them biting give the appearance of a higher walleye population.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Remember Zeberas cover the floor at 1000 per sq ft, this will move the food and eyes. If they net in the sand where the Zeberas are thick, there will be no eyes sitting on the bottom.

Michael Moy
    S.W. Wright Co. Mn.

I have been at Mille Lacs the last 2 years the last weekend of September and nets have been set same spots both years. I am sure that unless the weather would affect the time frame they try to keep the dates the same.
    The water temp. was only 1 degree warmer this year so I would not think that would have affected anything.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

It would be interesting to know how this is done. I suspect the DNR set nets on the same spots, on the same calendar date year to year. A better approach might be to set nets on the same spots each year. But rather using a specific calendar date, do it when the water temps hit a certain mark each year. I think their results are skewed because the lake is staying warmer the last few years. Just a thought.

-J.

That is exactly what I think is happening. From my own experience and that of multiple friends who own resorts and run launch services the fishing has been much better than average over the past two years… I also don’t believe it is due to a baitfish shortage. 75% of the fish we’ve caught this year have been very healthy and in the early 2000’s (can’t remember exact year) when the baitfish population crashed we were catching sickly looking fish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.