Long lines in open water

• aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

What a great weekend to fish the open water of Mille Lacs! I was joined by my Father in Law Ron Frederick this weekend for some life long memories on one of our favorite bodies of water to fish. Our goal was to hit the deep edge of the flats early and late in the day, then search open water for the mid-day action. Long lines have proven themselves time and again for this truly great Mille Lacs warm water action.
    We fished Friday morning for a few hours before the weather got the best of us. Wind is one thing but lightning is another. Once the storms moved on it was back to the lake to battle 4 ft waves and the up and down boat motions that seem to stick with me for days even on dry land. The lake would soon lay back down for a picture perfect weekend of walleye fishng.
    We made many passes along the deep side of the flats with Chrome Purple /Chrome Perch / Purpledesent / and Fire Tiger #11 Deep Trail Dancers also Storm Deep Thunder Sticks. When running PowerPro at 145-160 these lures will dive to 30ft +. 1.5-2.2mph running with the wave when at all possible. This was the key when running lures off the deep edge at 30fow-35fow Early day (sun up till 9am). As the day moved on so did the fish. They would move away from the flats and head to the open water. Now the search was on for bait fish and suspended fish. After locating the bait try to run your lures just under the schools. You can find walleye suspended as much as half way up the water column right now. You will also notice the open water bite to produce the larger fish. Good numbers near the flats early, but big fish came to us in the open basin. Our average fish this weekend ran about 24inches with 27 the largest and many fish just shy of 26. Eaters are hard to come by.
    If you have the time, get on the water, Mille Lacs is on fire!
    Check out Ron’s shirt – It sayes it all!

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Thanks for the report Aaron!

jasonlem
    New Prague

Sweet report!!! I got away from the deep tail dancers as I started Lead core with shallow divers. I would try a line with the dancers if they weren’t stolen from the cedar creek access on july 9th. I had 2000.00 grand worth of stuff taken from my truck between 7:00pm and 11:20pm on sat the 9th. The worst part about it was they took my cloths had to head home early.
    Jason

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Did they bust your windows out?

jasonlem
    New Prague

windows and out of the box. 6 spare rods and reels, spare deep cylce batt for the fish house lights. ext cord, all my cloths, One tackle box with all my newly replaced deeptail dancers that were taken last year.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

F-n thieves!! Did you call the police?

-J.

jasonlem
    New Prague

Yes I did but I didn’t get to make the report until after I was already at home. That night they were all up in Isle at the beer bust is what I was told so I went to find them and not one there. I did see them chasing someone when I was on my way out of town to the fish house. I figured somebody would of called me the next day but not. I did get ahold of the right people after I got home. I will say if I catch them they will be dead so I hope the police do there job, I don’t want to go to jail. 2 years in a row what gives.
    Jason

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.