Leech…Crappie?

• bioguy

This last weekend I continued my post-grad school fishing binge up in the Leech lake area, and boy did we luck out with a great weather. The whole family was up and most are new to ice fishing, so we spent a good portion of the time messing around on the cabin lake, which really isn’t a great lake to fish in the winter. However my sisters boyfriend and I were able to sneak away Saturday night to try some crappie fishing on Leech.

You’re probably wondering why we would chase crappie on Leech right? Well last summer we were on Leech and had great luck catching crappie, so I thought it would be fun to see if we could ice some slabs from a basin area further out in the bay from where we were fishing in the summer. We got out there at twilight and immediately tag teamed to drill out a large grid over the basin area. As it turns out the first two holes we drilled turned out to be the hot ones, and they were located closest to the ridge of the basin. The fish were very aggressive from the get go, and small frostee spoons in glow white tipped with euros were the ticket. The bite only got better as the night went on, but it was absolutely crucial that your lure was glowing bright; I even landed a bonus 17.5″ eye right as were going to pack up!

When I think of Leech I picture jumbos and walleye, however this last weekend changed that perception a bit, and really shows what an awesome and diverse fishery Leech really is.

bioguy

Thanks!The whole thing could have ended in failure if those summer fish decided not move to the basin. It could very well have been dumb luck that we got on them so well on that particular night. All I know is that I am going back

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Nice job webs and congratulations on the graduation. Very nice accomplishments on both accounts.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Edit: Congrats on finding and catching so many quality fish, it must have been a blast!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

great job…..Could you please use paragraphs it gets very hard and tiresome to read.

bioguy

Thanks Zach! Man it feels great to be done with school. Actually get to fish without feeling guilty (at least for a little bit anyway). We should try to get out on the ice this year.

Quote:

Nice job webs and congratulations on the graduation. Very nice accomplishments on both accounts.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Sounds like a good time to me. Let me know when you’re thinking

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.