Leech Lake Fishing Report

• walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Man was I happy to be heading north again for the first time since the Rainy River, I swear when I get to Walker its like a kid in the parking lot of Toys’r’Us! I headed out of Stoney Point Camp Ground at 3 pm, flying solo for the first part of the day. Glass conditions with full sun made things slow to start with only acouple fish coming to the boat. Instantly after picking up Mitch(Riggin’n’jiggin) at the landing, we headed out only to find the wind increasing heavy out of the east, PERFECT! We fished some comunity locations turning a few eyes and a couple pike but over all not the Leech I’m used too. After moving again to a location Mitch had found fish on opener we were greeted by almost unfishable rollers,one pass and we left after hooking only one. Back to some public holes till the wind died. We watched a few short fish being kept as well as a 26 inch plus that never made it back to the water -? About sunset the water calmed back down and we left the crowd to find a peaceful bite. Returning to the area Mitch had fished opener we found it vacant of boats and loaded with fish! We put a half dozen to the boat in short order before it was dark and time for the reason I came, Night Trolling the full moon!

Cloudy to begin the night we found the fish very tight lipped fishing from about 9 to midnight with only 1 fish I beleive. About midnight the moon began to peek out of the clouds and after dialing threw a half dozen cranks we had the colars and size dialed in, f11 silver sided, black back was hot from about 1 to 4 I put easy 10 more in the boat. At 4 we called it to crash.

Best day depth was 6 to 15 ft, and night was 3 to 7 ft. Clarity was awsome and the water temps were 52 to 53. Shiner supply at the bait stores is limited FYI and the big minnow bite was not going for me yet. Sorry no pics we ended with right around 20 fish 5 nice keepers and 2 shorts otherwise they were 18 to 25inchs, my cell phone doesnt take any decent night shots. I MUST ask people to return those big fish as the are the back bone of the Lake we love so much! People argue that well “it was the only one we got”, well think about it, you only got one fish, a breeder, and your gonna kill it, and wonder why fishing is tuff! Let the breeders LIVE! Good luck to all who keep small fish, tight lines til next time :thumbsup:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.