Great day on the river

• jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

The day was sunny and mild wind..finally. My buddy Mitch told me that he caught some walleyes a few days earlier. So we headed to the spot. Somebody was on the one spot, so we trek to what looks like a ‘fish holding’ area.

Tossing a ringworm, Mitch gets a bite within the first ten minute, but didn’t get a good hook set. My adrenaline begins to wake up…open water, ahhh. As I was using a ‘ribbon tail’ worm, I get a hit, and land a nice 16″.

Two more fish landed, and Mitch is getting a bit frustrated…realize that Mitch is a very, very good river jigging fisherman and he brought me to this spot and now I’m hammering eater size eyes, and he is trying not to

push me in…

So we evaluate out lures…color?, size?, flakes?… the TAIL. The tail on my worm was thin, long, and very active, as Mitch’s

bait was the usual ringworm, which produced a couple days earlier, but today was ribbon tail. Mitch gets an eye to keep before days end, and we are excited for the next outing

which might be today…:)..or tomorrow, depending on the weather

One thing is for sure, we are going to buy some Moxies, knowing that they appeared to want a lot of action right now. Hope this helps, and enjoy the picture I took before SUPPER!!!!

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

Here is the picture of the days catch.
    They are ranging from 16.5″ – 19.25″
    PERFECT size for SUPPER…also they were all males.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ahhh, walleye….the other white meat!

Thanks for sharing!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Good day brother!

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

Thanks!!

The river was a bit lower today, and the bite was -0-.
    Goes to show ya, you just can’t do the same thing every
    time and expect the same results.
    My son and I had to leave early, but Mitch scored a couple
    and informed me that it was on ring worms..;)

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

What a good week. Not every day was a limit, but we caught fish every day we went out. And ended our week with a good
    2 man limit of MALE fillets.

Hope to see you all out there…fish are starting to bite.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.