Rivers are high here

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

With all the recents rains the last few weeks in eastern Iowa the rivers are way up. Down on the Coralville reservior the waters almost to the height of the 2008 flood level and are within a few feet of going over the top of the safety dam. The local marinas are being hit hard because nobodys useing their boats and the owner still has to pay for the help to move the docks and keep them in shape. The local eating places are also taking a hit because visits are down there too.

We got enough rain here in these parts and the next 2 days are forcast for no rain, the next 3 after that are for more. We sure got alot of moisture around here and it will be awhile befor the waters go down.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Well Mossy, when the water’s high, the fishing is usually good. I was down on the Iowa River last night smoking some nice walleyes and wipers. Find the seems and you find the fish! Also, after 2008’s floods, the fall fishing that year was some of the best I’ve ever experienced. So, aside from the property damage and the loss of top soil in the fields, floods can refresh rivers, at least that’s what I noticed after 2008. Don’t be afraid, put on the waders, and get out there and fish!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya I know what your saying Steve, high water and the fish feed. Besides McBride your catching hybrids in the Iowa too? you do have them tuned in. We were fishing a week ago with ditty poles and also hammering them in the back waters of the Cedar, all flooded timber, the 3 of us cleaned 200 pounds in a 3 day catch we had in the fish holding cage in the river. My neighbor Al just came into town from camping at the dam by the tastee freeze to mow his grass and hes fishing for catfish, he says their hitting so good he and his grandson got 17 channels in 2 hrs and on stinkbait, he said the biggest was 15 pounds. He said they hit the stinkbait, didn’t mess around and just tookoff and hard.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.