Got Wipers?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Well, after a bad day of work, I needed something to kick off the weekend. I figured the only thing that can do that is a little fishing. We met at my place at 530pm- my brother Matt, our friend Nick Hagemann, and I, the captain for the night, Steve. We headed out to Lake MacBride to test out a spot Nick and I had some luck on earlier this week for walleyes. The area we were targeting was 12-14 fow with a lot of rock piles and drop offs. What we had found the other day was that walleyes were loving these piles and we took home a nice little mess of 15 inchers for the frying pan. I was figuring that was what the outcome would be last night, but it wasn’t the case. When trolling over the rockpiles, you could just see clouds and arches on the Lowrance, and then usually you would have a zinging sound coming from your reel. We were trolling at speeds around 2.5mph. The bait of choice were Shad Raps. Number 5’s and 7’s were the size of choice and it seemed that the wipers were preferring the Firetiger pattern. I had thrown on a Clown Tail Dancer and a Firetiger JSR, but they weren’t having it. Anyway, the bite was outta site. I couldn’t tell you how many we caught, because I ran out of fingers and toes , but I can tell you that the park closed at 1030pm and the DNR threw us out at 1130pm, we couldn’t quit. If you’ve never been on a wiper bite, it’s quite thrilling. As for me, I’ll be in the Alumacraft this evening giving my forearm another workout. Enjoy guys and tight lines! Oh, I thought I would mention, the monster that I tied into taped out at 25.5 inches. I needed to take a 10 minute break after getting him in

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Holy BIG wipers, they must have been a blast to catch

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Awsome fish!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Man Steve, nice fish, I’ve got to get down there and fish for them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.