First Volga Lake report

• ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Made my first trip to the ice this morning, temperature was 11 degrees, light southerly wind, ice varied from 4 to 6 inches, dropped my line in at 7:30 AM, fished until 10:00 AM.
    I didn’t have any live bait so I used plastic tails and Berkly Power Grubs. I caught a 4 in. and a 6 in. perch on the plastic over top of brush, and a 7 in. bluegill next to the brush on the Power Grub. My Marcum showed a lot of fish but I think they were looking for some fresh meat. My wife and I are going to town when she gets off of work and get some waxies and spikes. Going back tomorrow with her and give it another shot!!

Ed

Jason McVay
    Mt. Vernon, IA

Thanks for the report. I am itching to get out. Nice to hear about the perch in Volga Lake, I was not aware that they were in there.

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

This report has nothing to do with Volga, but I got out for the first time this year ice fishing on Lake Hendricks in Howard County just north or Riceville. For the day caught 6 bass, 10 crappies, 45 gills. A real good day to be on the ice for the first time this season.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

thanks for the report Ed.

haney
    Hawkeye, Iowa

any new reports for Volga Lake? I’m from West Union. We used to catch HUGE gills out of there in the spring, but could never find them during the ice. Are the crappies getting ANY bigger? My dad spoke of the perch being small, but a plenty. Any size to the Perch??

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

fished volga lake few weeks ago hit brush piles 2 that most people don’t fish had marks on marcum had lot of lookers but only caught 1 gill 2 perch and 1 crappie I’ve never ice fished this lake but heard the fish have been slow local refered to it as dead sea use to have monster gills and some nice crappies says the perch are plentiful but small in size.

haney
    Hawkeye, Iowa

what i think needs to happen is to stock a predator fish in that lake. walleyes need to be stocked in that lake. supposively there is muskie in that lake, but i have NEVER seen one in person. If walleyes were stocked in there the small pan fish would be thinned out and more keepable fish would be take. just my opinion!!

honda75
    Iowa

There are predator fish in there. There are some nice size largemouth in there and if you saw the size of the cats that people catch and release in there you would be amazed. But I do agree with you with the walleye though. The more predator fish in an overpopulated lake seems to be for the better.

JCRosonke

Quote:

use to have monster gills and some nice crappies says the perch are plentiful but small in size.

exactly why people need to quit midnight stocking perch in every lake and pond they can find.

1 other thing, is it just me and a possibly faulty memory or has the water quality (major green in the summer) gone way down hill over the last 10 years or so?

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

It’s not just you, my wife and I were out there today and you could hardly see the bottom of the ice, it was the murkiest I’ve ever seen it!

Ed

honda75
    Iowa

It could have been mucky today because of the springs and creeks running into the pond. I know after the rainstorms it was always mucky. With the snow melting yesterday it could have made it dirty.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.