Coach Mac leaving,bad or good?

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

What are your opinions on Coach Mac leaving the Iowa State football program after the season.
    I realize his overall record is not that good,but he did have a few decent years and put them back into a few bowl games.12 years is a long time for a coach these days.His Clones teams played tough against the Hawks,but lacked the talent to compete at a upper level in the Big 12..Maybe a time for change?
    Ryan Hale

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Ryan,

I think it will be a good move for him to leave ISU. I’d love to see him go to a bigger name school someday but that just isn’t going to happen for him if he stays at ISU. He’d need to put together 2 or 3 top 25 seasons in a row for a bigger name school to even look at him and he just isn’t ever going to be able to do that at ISU. I think if he coaches at say a MAC school and does well then he will be noticed much sooner than he would if he stayed at ISU and had more poor to mediocre seasons. Had ISU not imploded the last couple years when they had a great chance to win the Big 12 North then he’d be looking much better where he is at. Dan McCarney is a very good coach and I hope he finds success. Minnesota would do well to hire him and get rid of Mason.

Eyehunter

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I hate to see him go he did alot of good for the program. I believe in any sport anymore winning is everything. I hate to say it but I’m sure alot of boosters with deep pockets had alot to do with Mac’s departure. It would be nice to get well known coach to fill the job that could bring in some big time recruits.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

i think it’s great. all this talk about the cyclones having a shot to be great every year and then they just stink. it’s about time they make a change.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

I think its a bad situation, because he didn’t have anything to work with when he first showed up, so he was already at a disadvantage. But then he put together some pretty decent teams and had success but just couldn’t get the Big 12 championship. Then this year he is mired in a really bad season and gets the boot. I’m not a ISU fan but it is hard to see him leaving after the success he saw because of having a bad season this year. All teams have bad years now and then and it really sucks for the coach that having a bad season ends his job.

I hope that where ever he ends up, he coaches at Jack Trice again and walks all over the Cy-clowns. Here’s to you Mac

lonboy
    Harlan, Iowa

Thank God he is gone

Feel free to hire him, with a confrence record like his, I don’t think he has a chance of getting another 1A head coaching job.

If ISU can’t get a good coach and have a winning year in 4 years, it is time to quit football like they did baseball.

Good coaches don’t make foolish mistakes, like he did, but I would hire him in a minute as a salesman.

Time for ISU to move up or out.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Yeah, i’m glad to see him, go, wish it would have happened sooner…

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

The coach is not the problem. If ISU expects to compete with the upper echelon of the Big 12, there needs to be more money pumped into the program. Look at the difference between the football budget at Texas or Oklahoma compared to ISU. Coach Mac has done a great job. I thought a coaching change was in order but not the head position. I thought the Offensive Coordinator needed to go as the offense he was running was very predictable and defendable. Coach Mac is a great recruiter and has snagged some home grown boys that normally would have gone to Iowa in the past. Hopefully ISU will win a game or two in the next couple of years but I won’t hold my breath.

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

I’m glad I’m not an ISU fan I think he got the shaft, sorry my opinion hope he goes to a better school. ISU will be hard pressed I think to find a better coach.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.