Slooooooow

• Anonymous

Got out for the first nighttime adventure of the winter (likely the only). Went down to MacBride with the intention of finding somewhere other than the power lines to fish.

Let me tell ya, if you’re going to make that your mission: invest in a gas auger. I drilled probably better than a dozen holes, but all in vain I’m afraid. Even with all that jumping, only three fish showed up on the flasher the entire two hours I was out. Two mid-sized ‘gills and a missed hookset later, I was on my way home.

In other words: Fishing was about as slow as the “Iowa Lakes” board on FTL. Anyone else having any luck? Pretty soon it’ll be time to start hitting the rivers for open water fishing.

Anonymous

Dennis & I had fairly steady action on tues evening & Wed night on the south arm of Mcbride. A power auger definitely helps, adveraging about 40 holes per outing. The Auquiview showed lots of gills in the rocks. Oh, the crappies are getting a little bit bigger. {John}

Anonymous

Went to Mcbride yesterday and fished off the double boat ramp to the west of the beach and caught plenty but only kept 15 one was thirteen inche crappie but the other ran 9-10 inches threw back a bunch of 6-8 inchers and maybe they will grow for next year. Dont give up as I feel the best ice fishing is yet to come with last ice.

Anonymous

Redman, there were a few guys with lanterns up where you’re talking by the boat rental. I talked to them for a little bit as we were coming off the ice, and they said it was just as slow for them. Must’ve just been an early bite.

Last ice is always a dilemma – do you throw in the jiggin’ rods and hit the hard water, or grab a spinning rig and hit the rivers for walleyes. If it’s above freezing, I’ll usually hit the open water.

Anonymous

Gianni, In your new picture you look like you have lost weight!

Anonymous

I just got back from Mcbride and real good luck again but had to move straight out from the double boat ramp in 25 ft of water and brush and between my two sons and grandson we kept 65 and released several small ones! The blue gills were nice size but crappie were in the nine inche range. Yes I will hit the open water as soon as I can as I love the eye bite but did not have much luck at Guttenburg last year and hope it is better this year! I have a place at Cassville Wisconsin so I fish that part of the river a lot. I am also going to give Mcbride a hard look for walleye this spring as long as I can use my big motor sure wish they would change the law as it is close and I think it will be excellent fishing this spring. Wil chat later!

Anonymous

I have the darnedest streak-o-lightning luck on that lake. I’m surprised that it was so good today with the clear skies and cold-snap.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.