Pleasant creek Hot & cold

• Anonymous

man when it’s hot it’s hot & when it’s not it’s not! The white bass fishing is fast & furious lasting about an hour tops. The largemouth fishing has been not excellent but pretty good, for get the sun screen though & bring the insect repellent, Hint Hint. My main ambition is crappies, Is any body getting some big ones or numbers of 9 inches on up? Hey ole drifty, How are the crappies doing down at rathbun? {John}

Anonymous

I know exactly what you’re talking about there – I haven’t been on that lake during a hot time since high school. I don’t know why, but fish in that lake react more than any other to a rapidly approaching storm. Just before it hits, there can be some really good action. The rest of the time it’s like the dead sea.

I was out there Sunday practicing with a spook. I’ve decided that walking a spook is a skill I must acquire, and Palo is the closest still water where there’s no danger of the fish bothering me. Lesson 1: It’s harder than it looks on T.V.

I’ll post lesson 2 when I figure something out.

Anonymous

Hey Gianni: Remember a week ago on fri night when we had all that lightning and rain? Well my cousin & I were out at the boat ramp waiting from 9:00 to 10:30 along with a few other fishermen. We had a beer or two & then it cleared up enough to do a little fishing. As we were heading across the lake the lightning seemed to come from nowhere and was everywhere. Yea were crazy, we just kept going and then stoped at a point. The first, second, & third cast produced a bass. The lightning did’nt seem to bother them abit. A couple of hours fishing produced about 25 bass. By the way, I’m surprised you could even cast that zara . You say it was sunday? Have they got the stop signs up yet? {John}

Anonymous

I was able to shoulder my way into the crowd and find enough room to throw the spook. Like I said, I wasn’t really after fish, so that probably helped. I still seemed to have plenty of competition in the spot that I was fishing, even though it was a flat that was only about 6 inches deep.

Do you suppose the size/depth of the lake has something to do with why the fish turn on when storms hit? I always thought sudden changes in the baro meant fish turned off regardless of the direction, but maybe there’s something unique about the lake that causes this to happen. I’ve never good luck during bad weather on MacBride or any other area lake.

Anonymous

I think when you add: clear water lake+summer time+lots of fishing preasure, this = Morning, evening, night, or low light conditions. I used to fish a few tournaments out of lansing Ia. I quickly learned to avoid cold springs “a clear back water lake” during bright days. { John }

Anonymous

I had a similar experience with the weather at pleasant creek this spring. the water was in the 50s, but an approaching lightning storm turned them on and i caught 5 bass from 13-18 inches in about 10 min on a point, then scrambled back to the ramp in disgust of the weather. interesting!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.