Volga Lake – there’s no …

• emover
    Malcom, IA

I’m sure you’ve heard it before, and might have agreed at times, there’s no fish in Volga Lake. I can honestly say that after ice fishing it many times in the last couple of years I was skeptical if there were any “Nice” gils to be had, as I have always had to wade through a bunch of smaller ones. Yesterday, I spent the day with my nephew on Volga Lake, started late, about 10AM, and had decent luck. He had good luck, mine was decent, as he caught about 75% of our fish. We did catch a few smaller fish, but most were over 8 inches and a couple went 9. No pics as mom’s digital camera was still on the table where it was placed so I wouldn’t forget to take it along

Bottomline, fish were deep, only a couple came under a bobber, most were in 5 – 8 fow, right on the bottom. A piece of crawler was the ticket.

One side note, I can’t say the bass were doing much, as jigs and grubs or worms, spinnerbaits, topwaters, and rat’l traps got zip. But then I’m not much of a bass (or anything else ) fisherman. However at least 3 or 4 times, little 4 inch largemouth bass hit small pieces of crawler on the bottom with a vengance, all were carefully released to grow into big green fish.

dave

superdave
    NE IA

Good to hear you had a good trip and got a few for the pan. I always enjoy fishing volga lake when I take the time to go down that way.

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

from what people told me a few years back it use to be really good, untill people started takin like 3 5gal buckets full of fish. im glad you caught some. i only wish those people would of thought about the furture.
    -Aaron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.