Ice fishing for pike

• kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

When the weather warms up and we approach March, pike go on a frenzie here. Tip ups in shallow water 3 feet or less with smelt or herring will be the ticket.

They’ll start to migrate under the ice toward spawning areas as the days lenghten and approach ice out.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Thanks for the update Kevin. With our seasons closed in MN you are probably sitting on a Gold Mine out there. A little advertising of that great pike fishing and you could have a busy spring (besides perch). Lots of MN anglers head out to SD to chase Pike and quite often the crowds are so bad you stand elbow to elbow. Lake of the Woods is the same way.

Something to think about anyway. I sent you a PM.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

This system is probably the best pike fishery there is around. There are not many hammer handles, almost none. Two to three footers are the rule, not the exception. I recommend everyone come here and take out there limit everyday. I’ll even tell you where to go…but not if there are walleyes near.

If one wants to catch nice pike all day long, get here from ice out to June. It gets boring catching them. What really peeves me that it takes time from catching nice walleyes what with the straightening of hooks and all.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.