Pike Fishing

• scottsteil
    Central MN

Kevin, do you do any pike fishing out there? I know Devils Lake has great pike fishing, just wondering if you or anyone else goes after them. Is there a season on Pike out there?

If I don’t get out there before hand I will look you up in May when I am out there for he RCL tournament.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Is there pike here? My god this is the pike capital of the world. Take all you can home with you.

There is a special 5 pike limit on Devils Lake compared with three for the rest of the state. They are really easy to catch in the spring by casting shad raps into very shallow water while searching for walleye. If you fish hard you should catch a hundred a day.

Shore fisherman actually do better on dead smelt or herring.

They are not huge…20 pound plus. A good Devils Lake pike will run 36 inches and be very wide across the head and be thick bodied. There are lots of them. A typical pike is 30 inches. You don’t catch very many hammer handles either.

I don’t use a leader and seldom lose baits to them. You just can’t horse them at the boat.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Yes, that is what I heard about the Pike fishing out there. I am guessing there is no season or size limit then?

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

There is no size limit on either end of the scale.

The seasons never close here either for any species.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the info!

superdave
    NE IA

When is the prime time in the spring to give them a try. Also, can a guy do well just fishing from shore jumping bridge to bridge, and is there a lot of shore access? Thinking of a road trip this spring.
    Dave

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

There is plenty of shoreline on the west bay near Minnewaukan. Along highways 19 west of Devils Lake to the intersection of 281 and 281 running north and south out of Minnewaukan are the best spots. Several large culverts run under 281 connecting smaller backwater areas and there are a few bridges. Highways 19 and 281 are flooded on both sides of the roads in several places for miles coming into and out of Minnewaukan.

Shorefishing for pike, walleye and whitebass can be fantastic in the spring anytime from ice out to early summer. It is not uncommon for 50 or so vehicles to parked along the road.

superdave
    NE IA

Thanks kevin, i will keep that in mind.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

When you get closer to coming I can maybe put together a map of the shore fishing spots for you.

PS – Only shore fishing spots

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.