The action has begun

• kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Last week was the first week for perch fishing on seven inches of ice.

We did really well everyday in 15 to 17 feet of water. The bite varied between minnows (least) and a toss-up between perch eyes and spikes. I used a Hali with a three inch dropper and a treble #12 for the eyes and a tiny Rat Finkee dropper for the spikes.

My largest perch was a 1.5 pounder (13″) and the average fish size was .8 pound and between 9 to 10 inches. Nice perch.

They still bite like the perch tend to do here…light. The biggest ones just hang on to the bait. Occasionaly one will rap it hard.

I don’t know how I ever fished without my FL-18.

The occasional Northern showed up and bit us off. We did get a 36 incher that weighed just under 15 pounds. The pike liked the minnows.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Angler activity has picked up a bit over the week. High winds kept a lot of folks off the ice on Saturday but many turned out on Sunday.Activity on the weekdays is low.

People are hitting the perch spots and walleye/pike spots. Ice seems to range from 5 to 7 inches. Cold weather forecasted for this week will thicken the ice.
    Walking or ATV access only.

I did real well this week. Fished the same spots using the same stuff and had the same or better results.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Check my latest perch fishing report under the reports section here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.