Devils Lake Ice Conditions

• kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

The west bay iced over last Thursday. The ice forms west to east. Pelican (north bay) is already froze over. The east bay is generally the last to freeze due to the salt content or the main bay can be due to depth and size.

Some sloughs have at least 4 to 6 inches of ice. No fish but ice!!!

Let’s hope for an early season

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I have heard of some activity on Black Tiger Bay. The ice was 4 inches in the south part of the bay.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

The lake has iced over. The main portions of the eastern bays may only have a few inches of ice. The smaller bays should have at least 7 inches. Be very cautious when going out over deeper water. Higher temperatures are forecasted for this week so we shouldn’t be making any significant ice.

The temperatures went from 4 below at sunrise Friday AM to 34 above at sunrise on Saturday AM.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I measured the ice today (instead of estimating depth) and it was 11 inches. It does appear to have grown a few inches since Sunday.

The temperature started at 9 degrees above this AM and was 1 above when I left the ice at 3:00. The sky has cleared off and I would bet it gets to 10 below tonight.

I did see a couple of vehicles on the ice near the Fort Grafton entrance but you won’t catch me driving on it for a while yet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.