Please help with first time Devil’s Lake visit

• riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Here we are looing spring directly in the eye. No pun intended.

Normaly my family takes a week trip to Canada for some serious fishing and relaxation. We have for the last few years threatened to try Devil’s Lake.

We fish mostly for walleye but dad also loves to cast for pike. We hear Devil’s has a good population of both. Problem is the lake is so vast we have little idea where to even where to stay.

Could some of the more experienced fishermen help with some ideas?

We will bring our own boats, and prefer to stay in a basic cabin or kitchenette.

What kind of regulations regarding fish harvest are in effect? Are out of state license expensive?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

West Bay Resort has fully equipped private cabins with an indoor fish cleaning and private landing located in the woods on the north shoreline on the Minnewaukan Flats.

West Bay Resort is the only resort with private cabins and kitchens on the lake. The resort is two years old and will have two new cabins for this year for a total of 6. You have a lot of room and do not need to stow your gear at night.

http://www.westbayresort.com 701-739-9934

The flats and pelican are the places to fish for pike on Devils Lake. Both areas are best accessed from the west bay or the Minnewaukan area. Of course you won’t catch many pike much after mid-June other than those mixed in with walleyes. They’ll be too deep to be reached by casting. You’ll need to book ASAP for a trip earlier in the year if you want to cast for pike.

Licenses for non-residents are as follows:
    3 days – $10
    7 days – 15
    Year long – $25

The limits are 5 walleye per day – 10 in possession. No slot or size limits.

There is a special limit for northerns on Devils Lake which is also 5 per day and 10 in possession. The remainder of the state is 3.

If you need a guide I recommend me

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.