Fryin’ Saucer?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What’s the verdict on this? Do they work as intended?

I’d love a portable way to fry fish both just outside in the yard and on vacations. Lugging around a larger propane tank and the burner gets old, and mine is older than me and will soon need a replacement regardless.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Folks have one, They are pretty nice. If I was looking for an appliance to fry fish only with, It would be towards the top of the list of what I would buy. I think you will find yourself lugging a large tank, as they go thru a lot of propane. I sill like the gradpappy fryer however. I run 2 of them on the table on the patio when frying fish. As long as there is an outlet near by you are good to go.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

devil ithought this might be another Alien thread!!!!!!! rotflol

my bad………carry on. i’ve personally never seen one used before????

Krh129

I thought they were out of business? But having said that I have had 1 for years, fried fish, wings, fries, onion rings, tortilla chips etc and it worked well for me. The only reason I do not have 1 now is ownership and fish fry duties have been transferred to my son.

Now if I need to deep fry I use a single burner butane stove (you see at buffet omelet stations) and my cast iron frying pan.

The only suggestion I have is if you get one make sure to get a wind skirt, absolute necessity.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Love mine

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

they can’t be out of business. they still have a website that you can order from.

thefryinsaucercompany.com

kidfish

Fryin saucer is still in business. A friend bought the company from the original owners and they made some improvements from the original model. He sells quite a few on Amazon now.
    Had mine since they were first made and it’s still going strong. They’re great for the minimal amount of oil you need, plus the food stays crispy when you keep it warm on the outside.

jon_wbl

They made an improvement to the burner from the original models. Much easier to hold temps in all conditions.

queenswake
    NULL

A few years ago, I remember seeing many of these being bought at the Northwest Sports Show. I didn’t quite get the appeal then, but I can start to see it now. What I like about it is that it’s safe. No risk of oil overflowing and starting a fire. Small amount of oil to spatter.

However, now that I’ve seen people put a foil pan of oil on top of a blackstone and fry that way, that’s appealing, too. One less thing to bring.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

absolutely love mine. works as advertised: good hot frying oil plus the outer rim to keep things hot. clean up is super easy and it stores flat in the bag.

fish fries of course. we’ve also used it to great success while camping to cook breakfasts of eggs, bacon, and pancakes.

in fact, i just put it in the boat this afternoon as part of prepping for our trip to Lac Seul in 2 weeks.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

absolutely love mine. works as advertised: good hot frying oil plus the outer rim to keep things hot. clean up is super easy and it stores flat in the bag.

fish fries of course. we’ve also used it to great success while camping to cook breakfasts of eggs, bacon, and pancakes.

in fact, i just put it in the boat this afternoon as part of prepping for our trip to Lac Seul in 2 weeks.

Curious, how are you using it to cook eggs and pancakes?

If anyone around here has one collecting dust, let me know.

MX1825

I’ve never seen one of these. Anyone have a picture?

Bob Bowman
    MN

These things are fantastic!! Fish, egg rolls, chicken drummies, wild turkey nuggets,breakfast. Easy to transport and crazy easy to clean. Not a recent pic but I use mine a ton.

Attachments:
    1. 20211030_171755-scaled.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Friend of mine bought one for our boss one year as a gift. Broke it out on shore at red lake last winter to fry up some fish. Oil never got above 150 degrees. Needless to say we ended up eating at the bar. Can’t remember if we had a wind skirt on it or not but we did try to block the wind. Maybe this is a product best used in warmer months but didn’t work worth a damn for us last winter

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Off topic here, but a good, easy way to fry in the back yard is to use a propane grill if you own one. Turn the burners on high, set a cast iron pan in there to heat up, add the desired amount of oil and bring to desired temp. Put the fish in, close lid. All the splatter burns right up, no mess. Trick is to figure out what burner setting to use to get to desired oil temp.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.