Fridays topic ………sports

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This will show the age of the group.

Who here remembers knot hole day, bat day , dollar dog day.

Hope you all have a safe and wonderful weekend.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I remember all 3 and when Cesar Tovar played all 9 positions in a single game.

FryDog62

Knot Hole games from Rochester on bus 535 every year ~

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Dollar Dog day in Milwaukee the other day. I can remember back that far.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I can. I remember Calvin Griffith used to walk around outside with all the knot holers and shake hands at the old Twins Met stadium.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Born in 1984 here, my don’t really remember 1991 series so my childhood was the 90’s Twins as an AAA team. I remember all those promotions, I would argue the promotions were better when the team was garbage.

Got a bat from Marty Cordova bat day. Got there too late on Matt Lawton fishing pole day.

Don’t forget Target photo nights Dutch. I think my mom still has a picture of us boys with Frankie Rodriguez, Rick Aguelera, and more.

I also remember the days before credit cards were instantly approved. I’d sign up for a credit card, get a free Twins shirt for doing so, and ultimately get denied because I was 16.

Hornell dome dogs > current Schweigert hot dogs. Go ahead and call me divisive, I stand by that.

I was actually there the Saturday night they pulled back the curtains in center/ right center field upper deck in the early 2000’s because fans were showing up in greater numbers with better teams.

I played both football and baseball on that turf. I have no idea how pro athletes tolerated that for so long.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I remember getting a bat when I was a kid. That made my day! What’s knot hole day?

ThunderLund78

Bat days, coming home with a giant plastic soda cup with horrible artistic renditions of my favorite players on them to reuse over-and over, and Ice Cream in the team helmet bowls – Those were my favorites!

ThunderLund78

… and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMOKING IN THE METRODOME! (RIP Bob Casey)

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Oh I remember ice cream helmet bowls

Dan
    Southeast MN

What’s knot hole day?

I think knothole days were ways to get cheap tickets on weekday afternoon games. If I remember right it’s attributed to way old school baseball where kids would walk by the outfield and peak through a knothole in the wall to watch the game.

ThunderLund78

I really wish I could’ve seen a game in the old Met – But I was just a baby. My Only VERY faint memory of it was driving by it in the car after it was shut down, but before the demolition and my mom saying something like “that’s Where the Twins and Vikings used to play”

I also VERY faintly remember getting a tour of the brand new Metrodome after my first Twins game (could’ve been that same year or even the same day as driving by the old met). My uncle was one of the main electricians on the Dome build. Don’t really remember what I saw. But I think it was Gaetti’s rookie year and Micky Hatcher was in the line-up.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’m old enough to remember those plus listening to Ray Scott and Halsey Hall on the Twins radio broadcasts. At the time I wasn’t old enough to understand why Halsey Hall laughed so much and his speech was so slurred in the last few innings.

Brad Dimond

We lived diagonally across Cedar on the northwest side when I was in kindergarden. Could hear the Met PA in the back yard. The next year we moved a couple miles west. Still could ride our bikes to the game, get there early and wait in the players parking area (surface lot) to get autographs. Most of the players were really kind to us.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I have a full size bat from 1977 on the wall in the garage. took my step son to bat day in 1994 they gave out one hose mine bats.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I remember most of the above also. Dollar dog day, helmet Sundays, and even the mini bats. I remember some marketing for knot hole days but thinking that was towards the end of that era. I never went to the Met, too young, but lots of memories at the Metrodome. Not that I miss that building much though!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Scarred for life…

1994, my parents got tickets for Chuck Knoblauch poster day on my birthday. Players go on strike, and there goes my birthday Twins game and poster.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i remember them but dont recall going to any of those special events. been to the old Met and dome a few times. both stadiums for the vikings, Met for the Twins.

never been to either new stadium. been to the Timberwolves arena once. dont plan on going to any in the future either!!!!1

dennis smith

great memories at old met. used to skip school and sit in the bleachers for like 3 bucks. our group actually has a set of 8 seats and a speaker off a parking lot pole from last vikings game. tailgating out there was the best

Deuces

Dome glory days. I stand with Dan on all opinions. Senior skip day we got stoned behind the curtains in the outfield. High school also played a game there in the spring, super fun. Only took one time to get burned on a bounce in the outfield to know how NOT to play those.

And c’mon, seriously, who didn’t like to sword fight in the troughs chased

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I remember knot hole days and bat days at the old Met. On knot hole days couldn’t 5 kids get in with one paid adult? On bat day the kids would start hitting the floor (cement/metal) at the same time. Very loud.
    My dad caught a foul ball from George Mitterwald. Still have it.

James Almquist

We would go to Twins games with our Park Board. I grew up in New Hope and all of the parks had Park personal who would organize games and crafts. We would go to the games for 25 cents a kid. I was lucky to see a lot of games at the Met. Went to a Monday night football game with the Vikes against the Denver Broncos. At the football games you could get the best roast beef sandwiches and at the time were like $4.00 and they were huge. One of the last games that I went at the Met was the Kicks soccer team.

Brad Dimond

Also went to the Met in 5th and 6th grade with the crossing guards from school. There would be a couple thousand of us from around the Metro area at a spring game, it was a blast.

buck-slayer

I won a Meet your Favorite Brewer contest when I was a kid. Met Tommy Harper got to into clubhouse and on field during batting practice. Was pretty cool when I was 9. Milwaukee County Stadium had .05 beer night when I was a kid. You could get 3 beers at that price. Needless to say alot of guys got jacked up.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.